Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kernel 3.0, more performance, but more fan noise

hi

I just tried out kernel 3.0 (on ubuntu natty), and the gpu performance increased a lot. However, it also spins my fan way more often.

I actually didn't notice the gpu performance right away, I just realized while normal web browsing my fans were now spinning up. And they never were before.

Is there anything I can do about this? A power throttle option somewhere?

Which GPU do you have (lspci, or inxi -G on Linux Mint) and which driver is in use?

Comment

I have an nvidia optimus setup. I tried bumblebee for a bit to get the nvidia card working. But I've pretty much ended up just using the intel card.

So it's a sandy bridge setup.
      00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09). I'm using the "intel" driver

xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.14.0-4ubuntu7.1

Comment

There is a PPA for the Intel driver that improves Sandy Bridge performance:

Comment

Trying that driver with the 2.6 kernel now. It's way faster, I can feel this one even doing web browsing. And it seems nice and cold now too!

I tried xorg-edgers, and that was way faster. But it wasn't stable with kernel 2.6, and kernel 3.0 gave me the same noise problems.

Thank you very much!

Comment

2.6.39 or 3.0 without Xorg edgers but with the driver PPA is said to work very well. But Xorg edgers is necessary to get better 3D acceleration.

Comment

Trying 3.0 as well now, and it seems to be working very well with that driver

Temperature is even better than it was before. I'm thinking it might be partly because it doesn't have the faster 3d acceleration though. And faster 3d = more resources spent on it. Oh well, I'm pretty happy for now

Is there any slightly less edgy xorg-edgers? Bringing in the latest packages needed to get decent 3d, without pulling from git HEAD?

Comment

X-swat is a less edgy version of xorg-edgers, but for the time being it only contains the two proprietary drivers on Natty and Natty-based distros.

Comment

Alright, thank you very much for all your help!

Comment

Working...
                  X