X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chithanh
    replied
    Originally posted by DavidC View Post
    I think the problem is with Intel paying less attention to 3D battery life, than the GPU being inefficient itself. Media playback, which they touted for having good power usage, did much better than Llano, like with Anand's review.
    If you read the techreport review, they found that with a similarly sized battery, Llano was on par with a single channel i5 2410M and beat a dual channel one in the Media playback test. Only in Web surfing, Intel was ahead by 30-50 min. Anandtech's review has drawn lots of commentary, and not all positive.

Besides I don't think you get meaningful power consumption results from the 3DCenter figures (desktop not mobile, and a synthetic benchmark where Llano does much more work than Intel).

Leave a comment:

• DavidC
    replied
    Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    Intel's own GMA is not at all power efficient. It is much worse than AMD's Llano.

Source: http://techreport.com/articles.x/21099/7
    I got quite the opposite. The argument that AMD's GPU is more efficient seemed to hold true for laptops, but desktops with more detailed tests show a completely different story. I think the problem is with Intel paying less attention to 3D battery life, than the GPU being inefficient itself. Media playback, which they touted for having good power usage, did much better than Llano, like with Anand's review.

It makes more sense to pay attention to battery life on video playback, that already got decent battery life, than 3D gaming on battery, which not only brings down performance compared to plugging it in, but the battery life is still pathetic even with big gains on Llano.

Llano: extra 52W for graphics task
    Sandy Bridge: extra 32W

Time to market is just as important and it will take some time for them to make power efficient graphics.
    Last edited by DavidC; 05 July 2011, 05:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• chithanh
    replied
    Intel's own GMA is not at all power efficient. It is much worse than AMD's Llano.
    AMD also made some strong claims about Llano's battery life while playing games, so we decided to test that, as well. We pulled up Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and left it running, full-screen, to see how long each laptop would last. The Llano test system's discrete GPU was disabled in the BIOS, so we were relying entirely on both processors' IGPs. Here's what we found.
    Source: http://techreport.com/articles.x/21099/7

Leave a comment:

• Kivada
    replied
    Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
    I'd much rather see GMA-mini with the same form factor and TDP as the Atom+PowerVR chips are designed for, but with the PowerVR crap ripped out.
    So you want the 5w version of the AMD Fusion APU then. Has both kinds of drivers, OSS and secret sauce, lower TDP and higher performance.

The same Singapore event that brought us our first look at AMD's humongous Radeon HD 6990 has also served as the stage for the company's first showing of a new, even lower-powered Fusion APU. The regular dual-core Ontario (C-50) variant requires a 9W power budget to operate, but AMD's managed to shrink that down to 5W in a chip designed specifically to be used in tablets. Clock speed remains at 1GHz and the core count hasn't bee touched, but the memory controller has been dumbed down and peripheral ports have been reduced to one of each type. This streamlined C-50 has already found a home in Acer's 10.1-inch Windows 7 tablet and should prove decently popular among manufacturers looking for an x86 alternative to the coming tidal wave of ARM-based devices.

This site ranks all laptop GPUs acording to how they stack up to the current fastest possible Crossfire/SLI laptop setup:

The C-50's HD6250 comes in a 7% http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Rad...0.40958.0.html

While the Atom's GMA500 pulls in at only 1% http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-G...0.12614.0.html

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Intel tech already ran on Atom, remember 3150?

Their better parts, HD2k and 3k, depend a lot on a powerful cpu, and that's likely why they haven't put one in an Atom.

On the Tampere office speculation, I still have a hard time believing PowerVR would let Intel do that. My money is still on something Meego-related, perhaps the Meego phone from Intel.

Leave a comment:

• allquixotic
    replied
    Why doesn't Intel just terminate their stupid agreement with Proprietary Technologies' PowerVR and assign an internal team to miniaturizing the Intel GMA architecture to run on Atom?

The inability to produce open source drivers for Linux due to the proprietary PowerVR "intellectual property" is really harming users and operating systems that want to take advantage of this hardware. It is something that is totally unbecoming of Intel, in light of their active participation of open source for Intel GMA (and the Linux kernel overall).

It's good that Alan is working on this, but I don't think it will be enough that he alone is doing this. To get OpenGL 2.1 accel to the quality of r600g, we'd need a team of 5 or 6 people at least (just look at all the effort it takes to bring up a new Radeon or Fusion ASIC).

I'd much rather see GMA-mini with the same form factor and TDP as the Atom+PowerVR chips are designed for, but with the PowerVR crap ripped out.

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic
    replied
    Awesome news, hopefully we will get something more than kernel mode settings.
    Intel is doing a damn good job nowadays, keep up the good work.

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Cedar Trail Coming Soon To Open GMA500 Driver

Cedar Trail Coming Soon To Open GMA500 Driver

Phoronix: Cedar Trail Coming Soon To Open GMA500 Driver

While Intel's OSTC (Portland) team is busy at work on Intel Ivy Bridge Linux graphics support for this next-generation hardware due out by year's end, the same team doesn't play with Intel's Poulsbo or other graphics IP that isn't an in-house Intel creation and part of their open-source driver. It seems, however, that Alan Cox is personally working on early "Cedar Trail" support for the open-source GMA500 driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X