Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google's Into Intel Gallium3D For Chromium OS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoronix
    started a topic Google's Into Intel Gallium3D For Chromium OS?

Google's Into Intel Gallium3D For Chromium OS?

Phoronix: Google's Into Intel Gallium3D For Chromium OS?

The open-source developers working on the drivers for AMD/ATI Radeon and NVIDIA (via the Nouveau project) graphics hardware have tossed all their weight behind the Gallium3D driver architecture. The Gallium3D drivers have surpassed the "classic" Mesa DRI drivers in terms of capabilities, performance, and stability. The only strong holdout to Gallium3D has been Intel since they aren't convinced that it's the appropriate choice and they aren't interested in overhauling their Linux driver stack once more with the large upfront investment that's required in rewriting their user-space 3D driver in moving from classic Mesa to Gallium3D...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTU5NA

• V!NCENT
    replied
    Originally posted by Chad Page View Post
    Problem is that MS bought a lot of those patents.
    What patents? SGI is the real bitch here.

Leave a comment:

• Chad Page
    replied
    Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    If Google joins, WebM state tracker will arive, along with propper OpenGL 2.1&GLSL because of WebGL.

[speculation mode]Google will then probably troll SGI to death if they were to threaten Mesa with patents.[/speculation mode]
    Problem is that MS bought a lot of those patents.

Leave a comment:

• V!NCENT
    replied
    If Google joins, WebM state tracker will arive, along with propper OpenGL 2.1&GLSL because of WebGL.

[speculation mode]Google will then probably troll SGI to death if they were to threaten Mesa with patents.[/speculation mode]

Leave a comment:

• Qaridarium
    replied
    Yes! if intel/google also join the galium3D part the linux opensource drivers will grow up very strong!

i think companys can save a lot of money because of sharing code between companys over the galium3D driver architecture.

Leave a comment:

• gigaplex
    replied
    Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
    Did anyone else notice the ebuilds in that push?

Looks like he's a Gentoo user
    As is mentioned in the article, he's a Chromium OS developer. Chromium OS uses portage.

Edit: chithanh beat me to it

Leave a comment:

• chithanh
    replied
    Originally posted by Phoronix
    There aren't any major Linux distributions shipping with the Intel Gallium3D driver, but it's more of just a "proof of concept" or alternative choice for those building their own Mesa stack.
    Gentoo has enabled i915g/i965g in the default installation of Mesa for some time already. But the classic driver is the preset choice in eselect mesa. Switching to the Gallium3D driver (and back to classic) is just a matter of an eselect call.
    Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

That is because Chromium OS is based on Gentoo.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Seems like Intel barely ever touches i915 driver anyway

They're focused almost entirely on the i965 driver now. So it could definitely make sense to look at i915g with the faster llvm based tnl available there.

Moving the i965 driver over to Gallium doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon, seeing as how Intel just overhauled the whole driver to an incompatible form.

Leave a comment:

• FireBurn
    replied

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    thanks a lot for the explanations

hopefully they ll change their mind at some point

Leave a comment:

Working...
X