Intel Releases MeeGo 1.2 With Netbook UX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brent View Post
    Meego is a full-featured OS? It seems to have almost similar restrictions as Android...
    The netbook version is fully featured. It is just a slightly different shell, but any program that is able to run on say Fedora or Ubuntu can be packaged for Meego Netbook UX. So yes I would say it's a fully featured linux distribution. In fact you should be able to install any rpm's packaged for Fedora on it, so you have the entire RPM Fusion repos to use.

Comment

I bought into maemo years ago with the Nokia N770 and N800 tablets. I would have gotten a N900 except Nokia went and turned it into a phone . Nokia never totally committed into the open source strategy, mismanaged what they had committed and basically let apple and google catch up and walk all over them.

MeeGo look to have a lot of potential but was all for nothing once the M$ alliance thing came about. Though my next mobile device will likely be android based, I really hope they can keep development going, more competition & innovation means faster evolution and more choices for us consumers.

Comment

I lost interest when Intel and Nokia merged Moblin and Maemo. Moblin was looking pretty nice in terms of a software stack (Gtk, Clutter, etc). Then Nokia had to get involved and push their baby, Qt. In hindsight it was a sabotage.

Oh lol, how timely "Intel: Our Nokia Partnership Was a Mistake" :

Here are the top technology stories of the day. Learn about cool new products and technologies and get important updates about things you own. | Tom's Guide

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
          Meego is a full-featured OS? It seems to have almost similar restrictions as Android...
          I've tried Meego back when it was still Moblin, and it seemed pretty full featured to me.. I was able to install packages from the commandline (not sure if there was a gui tool because I usually don't install packages from gui), oh, and there's functional terminal with all the GNU utilities.. That's what Android lacks! Featureful terminal with all those gnu utilities!

Comment

Hmm nokia will release N9/N950 or what the heck the name will be probably in this summer. It will be powered with maemo/harmattan OS so still no official meego phone from nokia.
            Here are just a few of the WordPress Hosting benefits you’ll experience with us that make FASTDOT Hosting the very best!

It look nice though...

Quim Gill supposed to introduce harmattan in San Francisco Meego conference may 23. to 25., but session were declined by authors.

Comment

Working...
            X