Finally, Intel G45 VA-API Support Is Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sadako View Post
    I had the exact same problem, and though I'm not a programmer I took a quick look at i965_media.c line 348, and it looks like they forgot the one function call to actually have the new code used...

This little patch got the vaapi_h264 test working for me;
    Code:
    --- i965_drv_video/i965_media.c.orig	2011-05-17 19:59:00.126115745 +0100
    +++ i965_drv_video/i965_media.c	2011-05-17 20:00:51.048731380 +0100
    @@ -341,6 +341,9 @@
         case VAProfileH264Baseline:
         case VAProfileH264Main:
         case VAProfileH264High:
    +        i965_media_h264_dec_context_init(ctx, media_context);
    +        break;
    +
         case VAProfileVC1Simple:
         case VAProfileVC1Main:
         case VAProfileVC1Advanced:
    Now to find an mplayer ebuild with vaapi support...
    It looks like this was updated before I made my install, and I still get the very same error.

Comment

Originally posted by Sadako View Post
      Now to find an mplayer ebuild with vaapi support...
      That's the easy part...
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I added that patch to the q45-h264 branch, but it takes ages to see a decoded frame. It decodes something but it looks like it runs with slowmotion... I tested it with q45 and mplayer vaapi if that matters, not sure if it can decode it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          I added that patch to the q45-h264 branch, but it takes ages to see a decoded frame. It decodes something but it looks like it runs with slowmotion... I tested it with q45 and mplayer vaapi if that matters, not sure if it can decode it or not.
          Well, it's a start. At least your system didn't hang.

Comment

I got all this running with mplayer-vaapi (using the patch posted on page 1), but it's extremely slow, like maybe 0.5fps. I tried a variety of different H.264 videos in various resolutions, containers, etc and all produced the same results.

MPEG2 acceleration seems to work a bit better, but higher bitrate videos don't maintain audio sync for even a few seconds.

Overall, VA-API on my hardware (glxinfo reports a Mobile Intel? GM45 Express Chipset) appears to be a step back in terms of performance for both H.264 and MPEG2. I've yet to find a single file that plays back better with it than without.

This is on Fedora 15 with the stock kernel (2.6.38.6-27) and Intel driver (2.15.0-3). I wonder if it would work better with a newer driver and/or kernel.

Comment

Reason for slowness-- single threaded?

I notice that the check-in comment says that it is single-threaded, and that there is something called the sw_scoreboard that is disabled.

It seems that the sw_scoreboard is to coordinate multiple threads (the values seem to be 23 or 64) to work together to decode frames. This sw_scoreboard_vfe is set to 1 instead for this checkin.

Maybe once they figure out the sw-scoreboard, the patch will be faster, but until then, at least this check-in lets developers test their applications on G45 hardware.

Comment

It is just me or this is heavily obfuscated code? 90% of lines are just hex values...

Comment

Is there any news?
                  ## VGA ##

Comment

I am sure you can look yourself at

Comment

(character limit)
                      ## VGA ##