Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Performance Comes Out Of Intel Linux SNB

Phoronix: More Performance Comes Out Of Intel Linux SNB

Near the beginning of this month I talked about an important Sandy Bridge performance fix landing in Mesa that with 13 lines of changed code resulted in a huge performance improvement for those using the new integrated graphics found on the Sandy Bridge CPUs. This performance boost was quite dramatic and made the open-source Intel Linux driver comparable to Intel's closed-source Windows driver, but the performance tuning is not done yet. There's DRM patches arriving this morning that squeeze more performance out of Intel Sandy Bridge graphics under Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

All this news about Intel's open source driver getting faster so rapidly is exciting. Now, if only they would finally switch to using Gallium3d instead of classic mesa.

Comment

+10% in openarena? It means it's already faster than windows with this game. Unfortunately nexuiz with >=medium settings is very slow.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
        All this news about Intel's open source driver getting faster so rapidly is exciting. Now, if only they would finally switch to using Gallium3d instead of classic mesa.
        Why is switching to Gallium3d important?

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
          Why is switching to Gallium3d important?
          It would unify all the OSS drivers and make sure that whenever one group of devs made improvements that all the others benefited from it.

Intel is the largest contributer to Mesa (except VMWare, probably) so it's a shame that much of their work only applies to themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            It would unify all the OSS drivers and make sure that whenever one group of devs made improvements that all the others benefited from it.

Intel is the largest contributer to Mesa (except VMWare, probably) so it's a shame that much of their work only applies to themselves.
            Exactly this.

I can't wait for the gallium effort to mature and take on more implementations. I'd wager 90% of binary performance in a couple years for both ATI and NVIDIA for most GPUs. I'd also hope to see more companies cutting driver development time in the future by using gallium from the get go on both Linux and Windows platforms. Biggest win is me being able to faithfully use older video hardware down the line without worries of no drivers from the manufacturer.

Exciting times to be a nerd... that likes Linux... and GPUs... and is comfortable with the fact that his friends and wife go cross eyed when he get a few beers in and excitedly starts talking about this gallium stuff.

Comment

Working...
            X