Intel Core i5 2500K Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kenni View Post
    I finally identified the issue, the onboard SATA 3.0 has issues. Once I moved the HDDs to the SATA 2.0 controller, the system got rock stable.

It didn't matter if I ran Ubuntu 10.10, Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha1 or CentOS (with kernel 2.6.18 or 2.6.37), they all crashed eventually.

I don't know if it's a local HW problem on my board, but if your Sandy Bridge Intel board is unstable, try to skip the SATA 3.0 ports to see if it helps.
    Intel has stopped production of Sandy Bridge motherboards and is recalling all shipped motherboards due to SATA issues. Check with your manufacturer to find out how to return and replace yours.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
      Intel has stopped production of Sandy Bridge motherboards and is recalling all shipped motherboards due to SATA issues. Check with your manufacturer to find out how to return and replace yours.
      Yep, I am fully aware of that, but the Intel SATA issues are with the SATA 2.0 controller - the SATA 3.0 controller should not be affected by the Intel production problems.[1]

In other words, I'm forced to use the SATA 2.0 controller, the controller which has caused Intel to recall all motherboards - and it works perfectly fine right now, unlike the "unaffected" SATA 3.0 controller.

[1] http://www.tomshardware.com/news/cou...ror,12108.html

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Using the drm-intel-next kernel the experience is improved a bit for me... but I can still cause tiling corruption under certain cases, but I do have a few test profiles now working correctly most of the time.

Intel's Jesse Barnes has now also been able to reproduce my SNB Linux problems.
        Your article is however still very inaccurate. anyone reading it would come away thinking just about every opengl app will fail on sandy bridge, which is not true. I have not seen any graphical problems apart from a font glyph cache issue that was present for a few git revisions in the xf86-video-intel driver - now fixed, and a issue where occasionally using compiz, the screen doesn't redraw completely. the latter is a minor glitch and everything else works fine. is it too hard to put a little bit of text on the article to state that despite your problems, other have it working fine for example?

of course, there are other problems with the sandy bridge chipset, regarding sata but that's another issue

Comment

also it has been pointed out already on this thread but not corrected in the article about performance that

There is also the Core i5 2500 non-K processor that retails for about $10 less than the K version, with the sole difference being the 2500K being an unlocked processor so it will be able to overclock better. If doing any overclocking, you are best off with the K variant. The K variant does, however, lack VT-d support.
          the "sole difference" is not correct. the K series have the more powerful GPU on board - hence there is a point to buying a K series chip for an H board, even though you won't be able to overclock the cpu.

Comment

Working...
          X