X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• popper
    replied
    Originally posted by baddog View Post
    Agree, it didn't seem like a valid test. Still wondering where the proper benchmark is. The phoronix test suite documentation link doesn't give a clue.
    well can we even really advocate using the phoronix test suite until Michael changes the board software to finally allow a longer edit time

we could then come back and edit our posts and add that info and recommendations

(just pulling your leg Michael , but consider that a continually repeated request from several users)

i guess you could give http://unigine.com/products/heaven/ benchmark a try, it says it has Support of DirectX 9, DirectX 10, DirectX 11 and OpenGL 4.0 hardware
    and lists a Linux version (233 Mb): download so i assume you will get some form of consistent result at least

Leave a comment:

• psycho_driver
    replied
    Agree, it didn't seem like a valid test. Still wondering where the proper benchmark is. The phoronix test suite documentation link doesn't give a clue.
    Out of the open source stuff used for benchmarking within the suite, Warsow is one that I personally think is fun to play. It should be in Redhat's package manager. ~400MB download. Once you start, use ` to bring up a console and type /set cg_showfps 1 (if I'm remembering correctly). You would probably need to go into the advanced graphical settings and raise your max FPS value. To make it easier for us to get an idea of what kind of performance you're getting I would suggest using the predefined quality settings (low, medium, high).

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Running any one of the gaming benchmarks would be a good start with pts.

Leave a comment:

• baddog
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    /bangs head against wall.......

GLXgears is not a benchmark. The only thing that the numbers are useful for is to tell you if you have hardware acceleration or not.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by psycho_driver View Post
    Hmm, you probably have glxgears on your system. It doesn't really tell a whole lot outside of very basic 3d throughput.
    /bangs head against wall.......

GLXgears is not a benchmark. The only thing that the numbers are useful for is to tell you if you have hardware acceleration or not.

*** NOTE: Don't use glxgears as a benchmark.
    OpenGL implementations are not optimized for frame rates >> 60fps,
    thus these numbers are meaningless when compared between vendors.

Leave a comment:

• baddog
    replied
    Hmm, you probably have glxgears on your system. It doesn't really tell a whole lot outside of very basic 3d throughput.
    Well glxgears is horribly slow on my core i7-2600k. Looks reminiscent of glxgears on a system that is melting down with full I/O load, yet the system is idle:

Code:
    % glxgears
    Xlib:  extension "NV-GLX" missing on display "unix:0.0".
    Running synchronized to the vertical refresh.  The framerate should be
    approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
    361 frames in 5.3 seconds = 68.130 FPS
    300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.994 FPS
    ^C

% uptime

18:56:53 up 3 min,  3 users,  load average: 0.09, 0.23, 0.12
    % acat /proc/cpuinfo

processor	: 0
    vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
    cpu family	: 6
    model		: 42
    model name	: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz
    stepping	: 7
    cpu MHz		: 1600.000
    cache size	: 8192 KB
    physical id	: 0
    siblings	: 8
    core id		: 0
    cpu cores	: 4
    apicid		: 0
    initial apicid	: 0
    fpu		: yes
    fpu_exception	: yes
    cpuid level	: 13
    wp		: yes
    flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt aes xsave avx lahf_lm ida arat epb xsaveopt pln pts dts tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid
    bogomips	: 6782.18
    clflush size	: 64
    cache_alignment	: 64
    address sizes	: 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management:

processor	: 1

Leave a comment:

• psycho_driver
    replied
    As measured with what? I don't use any 3d apps under linux so I don't know offhand. I could fire up a benchmark if I was pointed in the right direction.

Leave a comment:

• baddog
    replied
    How's the 3D performance?
    As measured with what? I don't use any 3d apps under linux so I don't know offhand. I could fire up a benchmark if I was pointed in the right direction.

Leave a comment:

• psycho_driver
    replied
    There's a fedora rpm for the 2.14 X server now, so a:
    yum --enablerepo=rawhide update xorg-x11-drv-intel
    should eliminate the need to compile it from source.
    How's the 3D performance?

Leave a comment:

• baddog
    replied
    There's a fedora rpm for the 2.14 X server now, so a:
    yum --enablerepo=rawhide update xorg-x11-drv-intel
    should eliminate the need to compile it from source.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X