Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Intel's Sandy Bridge & P67 Play Well With Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a) that was in ages ago.
    b) that 'virtual device' is just a known chip adressed differently. You can even access it without that driver.

I have such a board

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
      a) that was in ages ago.
      b) that 'virtual device' is just a known chip adressed differently. You can even access it without that driver.

I have such a board

a) Not really ages ago, the patch was submitted to lmsensors late 2009 and the device has been around for the better part of 4 years. b) the "virtual device" handles more then just sensor support and also hooks into the ACPI. It also handles items like fan speed, clock adjustments, voltage adjustments, etc. Before the patch was introduced you would get conflicting addresses between the two "devices" as they were both trying to address the same locations.

I have 6 such boards of different models with this device.

Comment

Only the new H67 chipset will support Intel's on-die graphics, the P67 is used with a discrete graphics card.

I'm hoping for an Asus (or other high quality) microATX H67 board I can build a new Linux workstation around.

Comment

Yes, only H and Q boards have got the needed connectors. P does not. When you want to use every game you will most likely need a dedicated card, for some simples ones onboard might be enough. But intel Linux drivers have been always slower than the Win drivers for games, so more interesting will be libva support - and i want to see vc1 too... When you look at the libva git log you will see h264+mpeg2 for sandy bridge already:

I did not test my i5-680 lately, if somebody has got one H5 board too much send it to me... But when i tested it vlc was not able to use DXVA2 correctly - libva was better, but i only tested hd samples.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            Yes, only H and Q boards have got the needed connectors. P does not. When you want to use every game you will most likely need a dedicated card, for some simples ones onboard might be enough. But intel Linux drivers have been always slower than the Win drivers for games, so more interesting will be libva support - and i want to see vc1 too... When you look at the libva git log you will see h264+mpeg2 for sandy bridge already:

I did not test my i5-680 lately, if somebody has got one H5 board too much send it to me... But when i tested it vlc was not able to use DXVA2 correctly - libva was better, but i only tested hd samples.
            I don't know, the benchmarks from Anandtech a couple of months back showed some pretty serious improvement on the integrated graphics side. It's not like there's a lot of high end games for our linux boxes which require the latest and greatest discrete solutions. My 9800GT still chews through almost anything I throw at it, most of the time even stuff running under wine.

I am very interested in the benchmarks under linux. I'm pretty positive I'll be upgrading my HTPC (from an X2 @ 2,4 ghz/integrated gf7050) using one of these processors, depending on how well-supported they are shortly after launch. I'm guessing I'm not alone in those plans.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
              wtf?

In many years I never encountered a board where the sensor chip was not supported.
              LM_Sensors still doesn't report voltages and fan speeds for my ages old EP45-DS4 (from experience with other cards, it doesn't support many cards in terms of voltage or fan speeds). LM_Sensors doesn't even reports the temperatures on a Thinkpad T410 (i5 540), which is completely retarded on a laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                .. But intel Linux drivers have been always slower than the Win drivers for games...
                No suprises here..

Comment

Hmmmm "More information next month."

You missed out on "More information next year."

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Comment

Intel's AVX in Linux

As a bonus, while Windows 7 SP1 is not released yet, Linux had Intel AVX support for more than a year!

Comment

Originally posted by miles View Post
                      LM_Sensors still doesn't report voltages and fan speeds for my ages old EP45-DS4 (from experience with other cards, it doesn't support many cards in terms of voltage or fan speeds). LM_Sensors doesn't even reports the temperatures on a Thinkpad T410 (i5 540), which is completely retarded on a laptop.
                      on laptops that is usually done with acpi stuff. Really.

Comment

Working...
                      X