Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's Sandy Bridge Driver Is Nearly Ready

Phoronix: Intel's Sandy Bridge Driver Is Nearly Ready

Intel began working towards Sandy Bridge support (the Intel HD graphics found on their next-generation CPUs to be launched next month) since this past February and in the months since and it's now their open-source Linux drivers are nearly ready for the first early-adopters of these soon-to-be-released Intel Core i5/i7 processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's good, informer when i got my Intel G33 board i had to wait over 1 month for initial Linux support. Btw. you could buy the board before official release just like now with some P/H/Q67 boards.

Comment

Is there a word on proper H.264 video acceleration playback?

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
        I would also like to know this (SB having a dedicated video accelerator).

Comment

Originally posted by karl View Post
          I would also like to know this (SB having a dedicated video accelerator).
          I'm not sure whether VA API support for Sandy Bridge is already working but at least Haihao Xiang seems to be working on it.

See libva git commit log for Sandy Bridge and especially H.264 decoding on Sandybridge

Comment

Obviously, there is. Take a look here.

Comment

thank you Joker and Rabauke for the info.

Comment

MPEG-2 VLD and H.264 VLD decoding are both supported now on Sandy Bridge. VC-1 decoding and H.264 encoding will come next.

Comment

Did you test it yourself yet?

Comment

If they finish complete 3D and video-decode support AND the chip+foss code will do more than 100 fps on IDTech3, I will buy intel-only system.

Comment

Working...
                    X