No announcement yet.

Intel Windows vs. Linux GPU Performance Q4'2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So basically we are being penalized for having really fast binary drivers. Life is so unfair
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Ragas View Post
      ...No Intel wouldn't be a choice for GPUs because ... those Intel GPUs are dead slow. And a dedicated one would consume so much power it would be unbearable.
      Just see larabee thats your example. Also Intel developers don't seem to be able to loose on CPU building habits and because of that their GPUs are truly crippled CPUs.
      Not the Sandy Bridge ones. Those are hella fast, for igp.
      For the past couple of generations they've doubled their performance each iteration.
      I've held off on a new computer b/c of SB. Judging by the early benchmarks I should be able to stick with the igp and not lose any performance (currently have a 8400GS) and intel drivers have been the most stable for me. Nothing else has worked as well.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
        Not the Sandy Bridge ones. Those are hella fast, for igp.
        For the past couple of generations they've doubled their performance each iteration.
        I've held off on a new computer b/c of SB. Judging by the early benchmarks I should be able to stick with the igp and not lose any performance (currently have a 8400GS) and intel drivers have been the most stable for me. Nothing else has worked as well.
        The Intel IGP is not as good as a 8400GS. Sorry for helping you out of that dream.

Also, there are a lot of AMD IGP's faster then the Intel ones.

Comment

OK, Larrabee is NOT a GPU on a CPU die.

Larrabee is ONLY good at vector calculations (hello new instruction set extention) and 3D can ONLY be achieved from a very, very, very cleverly written Direct3D card emulating 3D lib running on the CPU. That lib is written by the guys who also made the Direct3D 9 card emulator which ended up as the software renderer in UT2k4.

Larrabee is king when it comes to ray tracing, which BTW is something Intel is spending R&D $$$$ on, and running a software 3D lib.

That's it.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            So basically we are being penalized for having really fast binary drivers. Life is so unfair
            I know!

BTW, I bought a GC lost month, and of course it is ATI. I am running the binary driver because it is ... mmm ... 4 times faster in 3D But it is reassuring to know that, should I have any issues with the binary driver, I can resort to the more bullet proof OS one, and still have a fully functional card, including 3D. I just hope the gap is closed to a reasonable distance at some point, and to me, this means same ball park.

Anyways, Kudos to Intel and AMD for the good work!

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
              The Intel IGP is not as good as a 8400GS. Sorry for helping you out of that dream.

Also, there are a lot of AMD IGP's faster then the Intel ones.
              Checkout Anandtech's article from a 1.5 months ago. IIRC it was faster than any other igp andrunning around the speed of a low end discrete. My board is something like 3 gens old so...PROFIT!

Comment

Tungsten is crap than, OpenArena runs fine couple single player maps, if too complex than FPS drops on G31. Someday i will upgrade to HD 2400 Radeon, that's plenty of power for Linux native games.

Comment

Working...
                X