Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Still Wants Xephyr, Willing To Maintain It

Phoronix: Intel Still Wants Xephyr, Willing To Maintain It

Haitao Feng, a software engineer at Intel China believed to be working on MeeGo, has come forward seeking clarification on the future of Xephyr and KDrive. Intel is still interested in Xephyr and Haitao is willing to maintain it, especially after doing work to add OpenGL acceleration to this KDrive-based X Server that targets a host on another X Server as it's frame-buffer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If someone does work on it, fix the bloody keymap issues!

Comment

Keymap issues are mostly user configuration error. Such as still having xkbrules set to xorg.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
        Keymap issues are mostly user configuration error. Such as still having xkbrules set to xorg.
        I'm not an expert on XKB but I think I've seen this confirmed as a bug somewhere. My usual layout is xkblayout="gb" xkbvariant="dvorak" xkboptions="compose:menu" and this is set with udev. When I usually run Xephyr, regardless of what options I set, my layout is complete gibberish. It only works at all on very rare and random occasions. I have tried -keybd ephyr,,xkbmodel=evdev, and when it doesn't give me gibberish, it just gives me qwerty rather than dvorak. I have also tried -keybd ephyr,,xkbmodel=evdev,xkblayout=gb,xkbvariant=dvor ak, but I can't remember if this has ever worked. I can only get gibberish at the moment.

Comment

Code:
          Xephyr :1 -keybd ephyr,,xkbrules=evdev,xkbmodel=evdev,xkblayout=gb,xkbvariant=dvorak
          appears to work correctly here. Only if I omit xkbrules it acts a bit funny. This is on Xorg 1.9.

Comment

And that did the trick. Thank you! Working here on 1.8.2.

Comment

I haven't actually started checking this out yet, but I believe Xephyr may offer a significant advantage for me.

I have to support some old technologies, in addition to the new fun stuff. I don't do the old stuff every day, but every now and then I have to fire up the old tools to go with the old technologies. One of those tools just plain doesn't like X compositing. For now I've got compositing turned off in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but I'm sure I won't want to run that way forever, as stuff like compiz becomes more standard, and using the legacy tools becomes less frequent.

I've wondered if Xephyr could do something for me here, allow me to run compositing on my desktop, but turn it off in Xephyr, and run the legacy tools there. The man page doesn't indicate that I can, but the man page is pretty darned sparse, and somehow I doubt it's complete.

Comment

Working...
              X