Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here's Another Intel Poulsbo Linux Driver...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's Another Intel Poulsbo Linux Driver...

Phoronix: Here's Another Intel Poulsbo Linux Driver...

Intel's Poulsbo Linux support is a bloody mess. It has been for nearly two years now and the situation has really not improved at all. While Intel IGPs are generally well supported under Linux with an open-source driver stack (besides being very slow), the Poulsbo hardware on Linux is notorious and does not have a fully open-source driver because the GMA 500 chipset is designed around the PowerVR SGX 535 graphics core from Imagination Technologies rather than being brewed in-house. The situation is really bad...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Here's Another Intel Poulsbo Linux Driver...While Intel IGPs are generally well supported under Linux with an open-source driver stack
    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODY5Mw
    ...this is becoming less true every day now. Intel designed only a small number of different graphics chipsets, they are mostly just incremental upgrades and variations. Both the i8xx and the GMA 900 are already broken in a major way.

Let's wait for the day when they screw up all those chipsets integrated directly into the CPU.

Comment

And I'm still waiting for hardware accelerated video playback for 4500MHD... Which was promised, by the way.

Comment

I'm still waiting for a driver which does not hang the X server every time... video acceleration is just the latest in the list
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          I'm still waiting for a driver which does not hang the X server every time... video acceleration is just the latest in the list
          Haven't experienced that.

Comment

It's a shame, but I have a little Fujitsu notebook with a 9xx (forget which) Intel GPU. A few years ago, it was the only machine I had with good 3D acceleration. Now, it barely does 2D. It's not my main machine so I don't have time to mess around with it, but it's disappointing to see the step back Intel has taken with their drivers in relation to the rest of the graphics stack.

Comment

Working...
            X