No announcement yet.

Intel Comes Up With An Alternative To Bringing Back UMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which huge problems do you have got with gma 4500? You can not test h264 via vaapi but compiz / kde 4 effects should do.

Comment

For example:

and much more minor bugs...

I have to waste at least 10 minutes to boot and when kde is loaded it just *HANGS* the system when it detects when it detects the s-video out.
      xrandr didn't work too (with xorg-server >=1.8), I even don't know if it's already fixed.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

@darkbasic

I don't have got intel mobile hardware, the desktop hardware (g33,q35,q45,h55+i5-680) did not have got this problem. I don't know of a Kanotix user with that problem too. But what i do not get is why you use 2.6.33.x kernel when 2.6.35 is stable, i even used 2.6.36 rc to test intel onboard. Maybe it is more easy to use those kernels with something differnet than gentoo

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          But what i do not get is why you use 2.6.33.x kernel when 2.6.35 is stable, i even used 2.6.36 rc to test intel onboard.
          Because it was the latest kernel available when I filed the bug report (yes, one year has passed and it is still not fixed). I tried with 2.6.34 and 2.6.35 too, but it did not solved the problem.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
            In this case, no your wrong.

The Pre-GMA 8xx video devies sucked ass. I mean they were really ...

Your a idiot. Try going back to using pre-R200 ATI laptop devices in Linux (or any OS) and then maybe you'll have a clue why this is such a absurd statement.
            People buy what they can afford.

Companies test their hardware with a version of Windows. With the 815 and 845GL's this would have been Windows 2000 or Windows XP. So if your computer came with that you should probably run that.

BestBuy and Walmart don't sale Linux PC's. Until they do don't expect 110% from Linux. It's more the hardware companies and the Linux distribution's fault.

Fedora and Ubuntu all knew there were problems with Intel's additions to the graphic code in Mesa, Xorg, and the Linux Kernel. They shipped distributions based on it anyway. People complained.

What should have happened was that the parts that were added should have had versions of the software lacking the additions to compensate for the hardware which was problematic. Mesa and a kernel addition would have solved the problem. I blame Torvalds for this. He's always griping about crappy code and regressions and he let the largest 2 problems into the kernel. Graphics and Scheduling.

Until we get a company guaranteeing their Linux distribution and supporting a package freeze beyond 6 months. Don't bank on linux.

Comment

.continued

Also, Slackware was the only Linux distribution to try and help with the regression that shipped with the updated code. They included a few extra versions of the Intel driver for Xorg in Slackware 13.

If only Linux distributions didn't make a big deal about sticking with their older products. You go to some of these websites and they never put up links off the main page for their older releases. It's always the latest.

Comment

Working...
              X