No announcement yet.

Intel Z6xx Moorestown Graphics Still Disappoint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With "standard" i mean normal isolinux/grub as bootloader. That will definitely not boot. That the packages are compatible there is no doubt. No idea which kind of bootloader it will use, if it would be coreboot then it could be modified with special payloads to make it even win compatible.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      With "standard" i mean normal isolinux/grub as bootloader. That will definitely not boot. That the packages are compatible there is no doubt. No idea which kind of bootloader it will use, if it would be coreboot then it could be modified with special payloads to make it even win compatible.
      The bios and bootloader need only match the particular kernel installed on the device. Thanks to GPL, the hardware vendor is OBLIGATED to provide source for any kind of modifications they make to the kernel for their device (read: their proprietary bootloader(s)). So as far as STANDARD distro goes, the bootloader is pretty much irrelevant. As long as you shove a compatible kernel where *whatever* bootloader expects it to be, and as long as you have all the relevant hardware drivers, you will not have any kind of issue loading an otherwise standard distro.

As an example, take debian and google nexus one --- GN1 has a proprietary bootloader, and yet it can load a STANDARD debian linux install on that device (and I'm not talking about a chroot hybrid android/debian mess, I'm talking about the real thing.)

If the device ships from OEM with MEEGO installed, then it is little more than trivial to get ANY standard distro running on it. Especially if the CPU is x86. AT WORST, you'll need a customized kernel.

The only roadblock is the possibility of tivoization, but that goes far beyond the purpose of this discussion.

Comment

Found some wickedly good news re SGX535 poulsbo/moorestown GPUs....
        From the horse's (intel's) mouth...

"This image will boot to XFCE utilizing the Linux VESA graphics driver and has been tested on Intel eMenlow (US15W) and Tunnel Creek platforms. A Beta release of the Intel EMGD 3D graphics driver for MeeGo on these platforms is expected in June 2010."

Comment

Working...
        X