Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How 4500 chipset driver behaves compared to windows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally found one relevant and up to date benchmark, this review compares the performance of the Clarkdale IGP to the X4500 in Quake 4:

(No mention of which timedemo was run though.)

In 1024x768 the X4500 averaged 17.65 fps in Windows. For comparison I ran the Phoronix "pts" demo, and the built-in "id_perftest" with the same settings. (Using a git snapshot from a couple of weeks ago, I doubt there's much of a difference to Mesa 7.8).

pts: 21.4 fps
    id_perftest: 13 fps

Between the two, I guess performance is roughly the same as on Windows.

Comment

I would not call that a usefull comparision as it is below 25 fps. Usually you should not play games with 25 fps low as 25 fps avg does not mean that you get a good experience everytime. When quake live was new i compared the intel q45 lin+win, there win was definitely faster, just cant remember the numbers. You could test with openarena too, should be similar. At least it is playable and no slideshow.

Comment

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I don't have a Windows system, that's why I was using the review, and their settings, for comparison.

It is, by the way, very much possible to run the game with 25 fps (and more) only not with these settings.

Comment

You definitely can not compare that. Basically you can get W7 for free (for testing) when you pretent to be an it profressional - completely legal to benchmark it on your own system.

Comment

Heh, now that you ruined my excuse I guess I have to admit I don't really have the energy to install Windows and run a comparison

(But thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind for the future!)

Comment

Actually, if you're an IT pro, you might get one for free without asking

Comment

Actually, if you're an IT pro, you might get one for free without asking
                Hehe good one!

Comment

What crossplatform game would you suggest to compare? I thought I could run some benchmark when I'll receive the laptop

Comment

Q4 is maybe overkill for the system. OpenArena/Q3 should work fast enough or other games with similar engines. You definitely don't need to try Unigine Heaven

Comment

Working...
                    X