Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mplayer-vaapi on poulsbo, tearing

Hi,

after long struggle I managed to flawlessly play a Full HD movie (Watchmen) with my Fit-PC2. It has GMA500 chipset.

However, some other 720p movies had severe problems. They played without flicker or stutter, but they have a lot of tearing blocks in most scenes. Something's not right; vdpau on my laptop plays all videos artifact-free, as does software mplayer on my work machine (which has strong enough CPU for 720p).

I use IEGD 10.2 driver on kernel 2.6.31, with self-compiled current libva (well, only -sds11, not 12 yet) and mplayer-vaapi.

On a related note, -vo vaapi:gl does not work although the GL setup is alright as shown by glxinfo.

Any ideas where the tearing may come from and how to avoid it; clearly the hardware is capable, the Watchmen video has a much higher bitrate.

Best Regards,
    Johannes

Just wanted to add that I did bad in describing the effect I have. What I mean is not the typical notion of tearing related to V-sync issues. What I mean is that small decoding blocks tear from the keyframe on for 1-2 seconds. So if there is a zooming or pan in the scene, you can see how they smear along because more and more blocks do not get updated properly. I don't know how to better describe this but will try a screen capture soon.

Comment

Originally posted by ypnos View Post
      Just wanted to add that I did bad in describing the effect I have. What I mean is not the typical notion of tearing related to V-sync issues. What I mean is that small decoding blocks tear from the keyframe on for 1-2 seconds. So if there is a zooming or pan in the scene, you can see how they smear along because more and more blocks do not get updated properly. I don't know how to better describe this but will try a screen capture soon.
      Try to run the application with the GMA500_WORKAROUND env set to "true".

On a related note, -vo vaapi:gl does not work although the GL setup is alright as shown by glxinfo.
      IEGD does not support the relevant features yet to operate with OpenGL. Only the MRST driver does that. BTW, please also upgrade to 10.3.x. Even if the changelog does not mention it, there were VA-API fixes in there.

Comment

Thank you very much for your comments! It seems GMA500_WORKAROUND did not have an effect on the image quality. It seems to be a little bit slower with that env set, though?

I don't know when I will be able to get 10.3.1 working. BTW I found that it reports its version as 10.3.

Comment

Hi, I'm also seeing the blocks on some videos depending on encoding, with gma500_workaround it works fine on H264, but there are still blocks on xvid, mpg2, etc, so I can confirm that there is a problem somewhere.

I'm using an asus eee pc 1101ha with poulsbo and the drivers from https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...eoCardsPoulsbo. kernel 2.6.31-21-generic on karmic koala. (I will try the IEGD drivers once I have time to figure out how to install them). Selfcompiled mplayer-vaapi-20100414, libva1_0.31.0-1+sds12. Everything works like a charm except for this.

Anyway, most HD 720p 1080p videos use H264 so for most parts it works well, just have to turn of vaapi on SD video which the cpu can handle.

Comment

Originally posted by Apis View Post
            Hi, I'm also seeing the blocks on some videos depending on encoding, with gma500_workaround it works fine on H264, but there are still blocks on xvid, mpg2, etc, so I can confirm that there is a problem somewhere.

I'm using an asus eee pc 1101ha with poulsbo and the drivers from https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...eoCardsPoulsbo. kernel 2.6.31-21-generic on karmic koala. (I will try the IEGD drivers once I have time to figure out how to install them). Selfcompiled mplayer-vaapi-20100414, libva1_0.31.0-1+sds12. Everything works like a charm except for this.

Anyway, most HD 720p 1080p videos use H264 so for most parts it works well, just have to turn of vaapi on SD video which the cpu can handle.
            We found MPEG-4 clips that have decoding problems with the GMA500 drivers. We determined this was a driver bug. Though, a workaround can be produced for them. For MPEG-2, this is news, could you please point to the clip causing problems? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
              We found MPEG-4 clips that have decoding problems with the GMA500 drivers. We determined this was a driver bug. Though, a workaround can be produced for them. For MPEG-2, this is news, could you please point to the clip causing problems? Thanks.
              I'm sorry, you are right, the files I thought were mpeg-2 are xvid encoded as well. While testing different files I also noticed that OSD doesn't work on some clips (this is also the case for some of the mpeg-2 I tested now). But the blocks problem seems to be mostly with xvid.

Thank you for working on this, this netbook wouldn't be nearly as useful without vaapi support!

Comment

If you use U then you can try my script with the needed hotfixes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  If you use U then you can try my script with the needed hotfixes.

http://kanotix.com/files/fix/mplayer-vaapi-latest.txt
                  Thanks, script works great

Comment

Originally posted by Apis View Post
                    I'm sorry, you are right, the files I thought were mpeg-2 are xvid encoded as well. While testing different files I also noticed that OSD doesn't work on some clips (this is also the case for some of the mpeg-2 I tested now). But the blocks problem seems to be mostly with xvid.

Thank you for working on this, this netbook wouldn't be nearly as useful without vaapi support!
                    Can you confirm that it *actually is* accelerating the xvid decoding? xvid is just h263, which IS supported by the hardware, but that depends on your media player being able to recognize that the video is compatible, and actually configuring the decoder properly. I believe that even a bottom-rung atom chip should be able to handle xvid decoding in software without noticeable problems. It is *MUCH* easier to decode an SD-h263 in software than an HD-h264, and particularly one with CABAC.

Comment

Working...
                    X