Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Sandy Bridge GPU Support Begins On Linux

Phoronix: Intel Sandy Bridge GPU Support Begins On Linux

Intel launched the desktop "Clarkdale" and mobile "Arrandale" processors a few months back that boasted a number of architectural improvements and one of the big features was the integration of a graphics processor directly on the CPU itself. As we shared when testing out the Intel Core i5 530 processor, the Clarkdale graphics performance was fairly nice and worked quite well under Linux using an open-source driver besides a few bugs.The initial support was quite well as the Clarkdale Linux graphics support upbringing started months prior to the Core i3/i5 Clarkdale product launch...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

200% of close to none is still not much. AMD's Fusion will trump over Sandy Bridge in terms of graphics performance.

Comment

Originally posted by ferreira View Post
      200% of close to none is still not much. AMD's Fusion will trump over Sandy Bridge in terms of graphics performance.
      200% faster = 3 times the performance.
      That'd be actually quite a decent gpu imho.

Comment

Hmmm, now reconsidering the acquisition of a Gulftown

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
          200% faster = 3 times the performance.
          That'd be actually quite a decent gpu imho.
          Yes. My Dell 1420n is getting rather worn out.

If I can get something with 3-times the performance and 10-15 hours of battery life, then I could easily justify dropping some good money on a replacement laptop-desktop system using it.

Looking forward to the performance comparisons between AMD Fusion and Intel's IGP in the future. Open source drivers for the win.

Comment

the question is: will AMD drivers be better or worse than Intel's ?

Comment

Originally posted by karl View Post
              the question is: will AMD drivers be better or worse than Intel's ?
              Hard to trust intel with delivering good drivers after GMA500....
              AMD has been ramping up for these drivers for a while now -- what do you think the reason is for all the open source work and documentation? They started in advance in order to build up the infrastructure so that when the fusion chips came out, they would be supported out of the box in full 3d.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Phoronix: Intel Sandy Bridge GPU Support Begins On Linux

Intel launched the desktop "Clarkdale" and mobile "Arrandale" processors a few months back that boasted a number of architectural improvements and one of the big features was the integration of a graphics processor directly on the CPU itself. As we shared when testing out the Intel Core i5 530 processor, the Clarkdale graphics performance was fairly nice and worked quite well under Linux using an open-source driver besides a few bugs.The initial support was quite well as the Clarkdale Linux graphics support upbringing started months prior to the Core i3/i5 Clarkdale product launch...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODAxNA
                Little premature for them to be working on the drivers for the next thing when they still haven't delivered anything particularly useful for GMA500.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                  Little premature for them to be working on the drivers for the next thing when they still haven't delivered anything particularly useful for GMA500.
                  Not really, that's a different part of Intel. Holding these developers responsible for GMA500 is unfair.

Comment

Intel grahics have alway about 2D and compositing desktops with the heaviest app being Google Earth and that's it.

Do not blaim them for only implementing the bare office desktop basics!

As far as ATI's conserned; they are above and beyond my respect ratings. If people want faster graphics from them then get hacking!

Comment

Working...
                    X