Intel Core i3 530 Clarkdale On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    All has to do with what's available... AMD does not send desktop CPUs to Phoronix and Intel rarely does.
    While I have no issue with this, the article implied that the Phenom II X3 710 is comparable to the i3, when in fact it should expect to get hosed. Even if all you had added was a rough price for the Phenom, it would have improved the comparison.

Comment

Also it would be nice to say in detail when the test is definitely single threaded or it is multithreaded.
      Also those overclocked intel processors... It would be nice to have a phenom II x3 overclocked at 3.0 ghz for fair comparison, rather than a core i3 overclocked to 3.6 ghz

Comment

Further tests

I support the idea express in a previous post concerning power consumption during the tests. It would be also interesting to see how optimised the Linux stack is for each processor. Also, a sort of speed/watt comparison could put into a new perspective the results.
        As well, I support the idea to add results for an overclocked AMD processor (if overclocking is possible).

I've read that you will also try to benchmark the integrated GPU of the Core i3. It seems also interesting to measure the memory access performance, as this can impact also the IGP behaviour. There is an interesting article about memory performance comparing Core i3/5, i7 and AMD Phenom, but also only tested on Windows. It would be interestng to see results on Linux too.

I'm currently evaluating to buy a CPU with strictly more than 2 "threads" (either 2 cores with HT, or just 3 or more core). Price, multi-threading performance and power consumption are my constraints. So, I will continue to watch closely benchmarks on Phoronix!

Comment

Originally posted by huygens_25 View Post

I'm currently evaluating to buy a CPU with strictly more than 2 "threads" (either 2 cores with HT, or just 3 or more core). Price, multi-threading performance and power consumption are my constraints. So, I will continue to watch closely benchmarks on Phoronix!
          I'm basically in the same boat as you: I want to buy a new system and can't decide if to go intel or amd (I also can't decide on the video card, amd or nvidia but that's another story).

Like you, all that I found were tests on Windows but I would really like to see how are things in Linux land (power consumption being top priority for me).

Comment

Working...
          X