Intel Linux Graphics Shine With Fedora 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by m4rgin4l View Post
    I have a notebook with a GM4500HD chipset and KMS is totally broken. The system freezes just starting X or two or three seconds later. Supplying nomodeset fixes the problem, but then I can't access the virtual consoles. Compiz is broken too.
    There is a very similar problem with GMA950. Your problem might be related somehow.

Comment

kano, I maintain a Fedora repository with libva and mplayer-accelerated (vaapi) packages: http://www.happyassassin.net/video-experimental/

m4rgin4l, as others have suggested, that's not typical behaviour: please file a bug, including all the info requested at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_t..._Xorg_problems .

dodoent: as the closing of your bug as a dupe implies, poor performance with KMS enabled on some ATI chipsets is a known issue. I should really call it out explicitly in common_bugs, actually. It is something that's known and will be worked on, we appreciate it's a bit of a pain in the mean time.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
        dodoent: as the closing of your bug as a dupe implies, poor performance with KMS enabled on some ATI chipsets is a known issue. I should really call it out explicitly in common_bugs, actually. It is something that's known and will be worked on, we appreciate it's a bit of a pain in the mean time.
        I've seen now that my bug is reported as duplicated and that poor performance is a known issue. Thank you very much for pointing that out.

I just hope that you'll quickly find a way to increase performance, at least to enable normal animations performance in OpenOffice Impress.

Comment

@AdamW

Did you enable the 965 driver in the libva package?

Comment

we'll try. For now, the workaround of disabling KMS should work for most cases. If your graphics work okay with KMS disabled, it's alright to run that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              @AdamW

Did you enable the 965 driver in the libva package?
              In the package in my personal repository, yeah. I have a review request in for Fedora proper; if that's ever accepted, it'll have to be without the 965 driver, as it implements patented stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
                we'll try. For now, the workaround of disabling KMS should work for most cases. If your graphics work okay with KMS disabled, it's alright to run that way.
                The problem is that disabling KMS breaks suspend on my graphics card on 2.6.31. It does suspend, but it doesn't resume. I even tried --quirk-vbestate-restore and that works once, but after initiating second suspend, the screen is corrupted and hard reboot is required.

So for now, I'm using KMS for my everyday work and non-KMS when I need to perform an OOo Impress presentation.

Comment

To first recap some important pieces of information for Fedora 10, Fedora 11, and Fedora 12 are the package versions found in each release. Fedora 10 shipped with the Linux 2.6.27 kernel, GNOME 2.24.1, X Server 1.5.3, xf86-video-intel 2.5.0, and Mesa 7.3-devel. Fedora 11 provided the Linux 2.6.29 kernel, GNOME 2.26.1, X Server 1.6.2 RC1, xf86-video-intel 2.7.0, and Mesa 7.5-devel. The brand new Fedora 12 release is using the Linux 2.6.31 kernel, GNOME 2.28.1, X Server 1.7.1, xf86-video-intel 2.9.1, and Mesa 7.7-devel. All three Fedora releases were left in their stock configurations after installation. The x86_64 version of all three Fedora releases was used.
                  When doing such benchmarks you should issue an update first.

F11 ships 2.6.30 now.

Comment

dodoent: ah, I see. That does suck, then :/. Sorry about that. All I can say is to watch the bug report, Dave and Jerome will get to it.

Comment

@AdamW

How to use your repo with rawhide?

Comment

Working...
                      X