Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's VA-API 2.22 Library Adds VVC/H.266 Video Decode Interface

Phoronix: Intel's VA-API 2.22 Library Adds VVC/H.266 Video Decode Interface

Intel engineers today released version 2.22 of libva, the driver-agnostic library for the Video Acceleration API (VA-API). Most notable with libva 2.22 is adding a new interface for Versatile Video Coding (VVC / H.266)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

the next intel gpus have been announced to support hwdec

Comment

x266 was never released. vvc is dead.

Comment

Phoronix says there are two comments in the article, you open the forum topic and there are none.

OK, maybe I've missed something, let's check it in incognito mode, nope, no comments whatsoever. The first one states the obvious, the second one is raging nonsensical hatred.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
          Phoronix says there are two comments in the article, you open the forum topic and there are none.

OK, maybe I've missed something, let's check it in incognito mode, nope, no comments whatsoever. The first one states the obvious, the second one is raging nonsensical hatred.
          The third one denies the existence of the first two while simultaneously acknowledging it.

Comment

Intel's Lunar Lake will have VVC decode but from what I understand LL is going to be ulta-low power only. It does sound like it is part of Xe2 (AKA Battlemage) so Arrow Lake and everything else that follows should also have VVC decode. Of course, Intel has had AV1 decode and encode for a while now so it remains to be seen if VVC is compelling enough to gain traction.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonk View Post
              Intel's Lunar Lake will have VVC decode but from what I understand LL is going to be ulta-low power only. It does sound like it is part of Xe2 (AKA Battlemage) so Arrow Lake and everything else that follows should also have VVC decode. Of course, Intel has had AV1 decode and encode for a while now so it remains to be seen if VVC is compelling enough to gain traction.
              That's not a question. The members of the MPEG LA will most certainly push for it, I wouldn't be surprised at all if within the next 1-2 years e.g. Apple will switch from h265 video and HEIF to VVC video and whatever they'll call the image format. Just because they can do so, because VVC is supposed to better handle VR and stuff - *cough* Vision Pro *cough* - and just to screw people and have their garbage as incompatible as possible. Meanwhile, everyone else will just ignore h266 just as they ignored h265 - even more now that the patent holders for h265 are getting desperate to make some last pennies from it before the patents run out, so they are suing left and right. So Intel, AMD and Nvidia could just not bother supporting it in the first place in consumer hardware and save the silicon for the eventual arrival of AV2.

Comment

Originally posted by edxposed View Post
                x266 was never released. vvc is dead.
                We don't necessarily need it, since VVenC is open-source.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonk View Post
                  VVC has some benefits, but nothing is really major vs av1 the biggest thing is that it will be needed for blurays.

Comment

h.26x needs to be retired. h.264 was revolutionary and is still going strong, but there is little need for h.265, much less h.266. vp9 encode/decode has been baked into most chips released since 2018. vp9 performs almost as well as h.265, if not better. av1 support is also quite mature.

Comment

Working...
                    X