No announcement yet.

Intel P-State Patches Further Tune Linux For Better Scheduling On Hybrid CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel P-State Patches Further Tune Linux For Better Scheduling On Hybrid CPUs

Phoronix: Intel P-State Patches Further Tune Linux For Better Scheduling On Hybrid CPUs

A new set of patches are currently being tested for improving task scheduling and in turn performance for modern Intel Core hybrid processors. With the patch also mentioning systems that are hybrid but without SMT, this looks like it may be some early tuning as well for upcoming Intel Lunar Lake processors that lack Hyper Threading...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope this improves the power consumption, since Windows 11 still seems superior to Ubuntu 22.04 with KDE on both my laptops (6 hours vs 8-9 hours).

It is strange, since KDE is running far fewer background services with less CPU usage, and the harddrive is basically inactive in KDE compared to Win 11. It is like the CPU/GPU aren't "sleeping" properly between activities.

Comment

Originally posted by Landway12 View Post
      I hope this improves the power consumption, since Windows 11 still seems superior to Ubuntu 22.04 with KDE on both my laptops (6 hours vs 8-9 hours).

It is strange, since KDE is running far fewer background services with less CPU usage, and the harddrive is basically inactive in KDE compared to Win 11. It is like the CPU/GPU aren't "sleeping" properly between activities.
      This is a thing. IIRC, there are a few gaps in how acceleration bits are being handled and that gets in the way of proper component sleep (e.g. CPU cores and GPU). One of the AMD devs ( think his name is Mario) pointed this out in some places, such as the touchpad and the cursor I think. Also, IIRC, one of the guys that works on Asahi pointed out some current gaps in Linux's EAS (Energy Aware Scheduling) that need more attention from upstream (I think Hector Martin?).

So these quirks are known by many kernel devs and also DE devs, and they're being worked on, but it'll take time. I'm very hopeful these things will get picked fixed soon, especially with the increasing attention to Linux

Comment

Originally posted by Landway12 View Post
        Thats strange. I tend to use Linux as the benchmark rather than Windows because when sticking in a Wattmeter, it tends to measure less KWh.

Sadly, OpenBSD is lacking in the intel_pstate, amd_coolnquiet and even "whatever the hell Raspberry Pi uses" departments. Stuff generally runs hot at C-state 3 and below. (in the case of the Pi, it is stuck at lowest freq).

The closest we have currently is the early pstate work patches by jcs@.

... and this stuff is *difficult*. I don't know if anything will change soon.
        Last edited by kpedersen; 24 June 2024, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X