Fedora 41 Hopes The GIMP 3.0 Photoshop Alternative Will Be Ready To Shine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 41 Hopes The GIMP 3.0 Photoshop Alternative Will Be Ready To Shine

Phoronix: Fedora 41 Hopes The GIMP 3.0 Photoshop Alternative Will Be Ready To Shine

Fedora developers are hoping that the long-awaited GIMP 3.0 will ship before October and be all ready for serving as the default GIMP package with the in-development Fedora 41...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's mainly a packaging thing right?

Comment

I'm sorry but Gimp is not a Photoshop alternative. With all due respect to it's developers.

Comment

*Every other distribution changes some packaging*
        Phoronix: I sleep

*Fedora thinks about changing packaging of a software*
        Phoronix: Real sh*t!

😁

Comment

Originally posted by pdbecid View Post
          I'm sorry but Gimp is not a Photoshop alternative. With all due respect to it's developers.
          Several thoughts about this, it depends isn't? for a large number of operations GIMP can perfectly compete with most image-manipulator-paint complex software and this has been the case for a long time.

There are three areas where GIMP has been always lacking, CMYK support, non-destructive editing and interface ergonomics.

All three have been massively improved/introduced in v3.0

Does this mean it will be able replace Photoshop now? yes, for a large number of users the answer is a rotund yes. Does this mean GIMP is a 1:1 clone of Photoshop, of course not, but it is finally becoming good enough for a larger audience.

For how many users? again the answer is: depends. Not all of them. In my case once v3.0 is stable I can say goodbye to Photoshop for 95% of what I need to do, currently GIMP does 70% of what I need to do.

All I can say is I wish and hope GIMP can bank on the the recent backslash against Adobe.

Comment

I'm slowly losing muscle memory for GIMP 2. Should make adoption a GIMP 3 easier.

Comment

Originally posted by pdbecid View Post
              I personally have never needed to touch Adobe software thanks to applications like Gimp, Krita, Inkscape, ImageMagick and MyPaint. Sure, there are things Gimp may do different, more complicated or doesn't offer at all (as example for a long time Gimp didn't utilize hardware acceleration for its filters). But it has never really been a bad option. Most frustration comes from long term Photoshop users that don't want to adjust their workflow or try to find a reason for Adobe tax.

I would even assume that most people aren't using Photoshop because of some important feature but rather because they heard it's the industry standard and therefore they need to use it. The amount of mediocre quality thumbnails on platforms like YouTube done with Photoshop is insane for example. I don't think those people know what they are doing - no matter the tool they are using. But surely they pay Adobe for it.

I believe there are definitely some very talented people who make proper use of Photoshop and tools like Gimp in current state would only make their work more difficult. But I think those people aren't the ones complaining about Gimp not matching Photoshop overall. I assume those people could make it work no matter the tool but they use Photoshop because it saves a bit more time.

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post

Several thoughts about this, it depends isn't? for a large number of operations GIMP can perfectly compete with most image-manipulator-paint complex software and this has been the case for a long time.

There are three areas where GIMP has been always lacking, CMYK support, non-destructive editing and interface ergonomics.

Does this mean it will be able replace Photoshop now? yes, for a large number of users the answer is a rotund yes. Does this mean GIMP is a 1:1 clone of Photoshop, of course not, but it is finally becoming good enough for a larger audience.

For how many users? again the answer is: depends. Not all of them. In my case once v3.0 is stable I can say goodbye to Photoshop for 95% of what I need to do, currently GIMP does 70% of what I need to do.

All I can say is I wish and hope GIMP can bank on the the recent backslash against Adobe.
                wake me up when gimp can support associated alpha properly.

Comment

Not directly related to the neverending story of Gimp 3, but way way WAY back in 1998 or so I learned what RPM hell was when trying to get GIMP to run on Redhat 5 (you read that right, not Fedora 5, not RHEL 5, Redhat 5).

Anyhoo, I never did get it working and it put me off of Linux until a couple years later when better package managers with dependency tracking started to become more widespread.

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post

Alas I seriously doubt GIMP will make any sort of dent in Adobe. I have used GIMP since the early 2ks and have never used Adobe. That said when I tried to get our media person on it who also never used Adobe, they gave GIMP an honest go... then tried Adobe and have never looked back. That was very telling to me... a person who never used either package at any point dumped GIMP immediately after using Adobe. Its to bad, because I like GIMP... but have no measurable talent so it has never held me back

So yah... this company now pays the Adobe tax... and to be honest is more productive for it.

Comment

Working...
                    X