Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Reveals New Lunar Lake Details At Computex

Phoronix: Intel Reveals New Lunar Lake Details At Computex

24 hours ago AMD was in the limelight in announcing the Ryzen 9000 series, the Ryzen AI 300 series, teasing AMD 5th Gen EPYC, etc. Now the tables have turned to Intel with the embargo lifting concerning new details on the Gaudi 3 AI accelerator and upcoming Lunar Lake mobile processors and the launch of the Intel Xeon 6700E (Sierra Forest) E-core server processors. In this article is a look at some of the new disclosures around Lunar Lake...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Correct me if I am wrong, but according to this article a Lunar Lake Mobile Processor has a maximum of 4P cores and 4E cores. That really isn't much by today's standards. An Ice Lake U series processor had 4 P cores too. Those were in what 2019, here it is 4 years later and you get the same 4P cores, yes you get better graphics, yes you get 4E cores, but the P core package is still the same old same old. I was really hoping Intel was gonna turn it around with Lunar Lake...

Comment

A deep dive intro the new architecture by Anandtech: https://www.anandtech.com/show/21425...e-xe2-and-npu4

This is the first consumer device to support HW VVC video decoding. Hooray!

Key points vs Meteor Lake:
      • 14% higher IPC (1% higher than 14th gen Raptor Lake)
      • 40% better power efficiency
      • Much much faster E-Cores
      • Xe2-LPG graphics with a major performance uplift and new features
      Let's wait for reviews.
      Last edited by avis; 04 June 2024, 12:09 AM.

Comment

does this support Intel APX ? , wow VVC decoding finally

Comment

I thought the fact that both tiles are being fabbed by TSMC was by far the most interesting / damning / concerning thing. It's great that they freed their design team to use any fab / process. And simultaneously worrying that if they want to compete on efficiency they have to use their competitor.

TSMC N3E + TSMC N6

Meteor Lake used Intel 4 (previously named their 7nm node) for the compute tile with underwhelming results. Here we get TSMC for both.

No hyper threading on the P cores was also interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
            Correct me if I am wrong, but according to this article a Lunar Lake Mobile Processor has a maximum of 4P cores and 4E cores. That really isn't much by today's standards. An Ice Lake U series processor had 4 P cores too. Those were in what 2019, here it is 4 years later and you get the same 4P cores, yes you get better graphics, yes you get 4E cores, but the P core package is still the same old same old. I was really hoping Intel was gonna turn it around with Lunar Lake...
            Single core performance and igpu is far more important for laptops than simply stuffing moar cores there. Those are not server chips. Of course AMD will try to spin that and offer a 64 core laptop chip "moar is bettah" but who needs that on a laptop? Truth be told, Intel's approach is far more sensible.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Single core performance and igpu is far more important for laptops than simply stuffing moar cores there. Those are not server chips. Of course AMD will try to spin that and offer a 64 core laptop chip "moar is bettah" but who needs that on a laptop? Truth be told, Intel's approach is far more sensible.
              AMD's just announced laptop chips are 4+6 and 4+8 designs. They aren't really going crazy on cores there either, but it's interesting they have moved to an efficiency core design like Intel did.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
                Correct me if I am wrong, but according to this article a Lunar Lake Mobile Processor has a maximum of 4P cores and 4E cores. That really isn't much by today's standards.
                I think that's perfect for low end devices like 90% of people are using. Arrow Lake will be the > 20 core high end design to complement these celeron/i3 chips.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
                  Key points vs Meteor Lake:
                  • 14% higher IPC (1% higher than 14th gen Raptor Lake)
                  Actually, the Skymont E-core has 2% higher IPC than Raptor Cove (14th gen P-core), and Lion Cove has 14% higher IPC than Redwood Cove (which was around the same as Raptor Cove).

These numbers are subject to change, but that E-core increase is Big If True.

Comment

Originally posted by luno View Post
                    does this support Intel APX ?
                    No. I didn't even see anything about it supporting AVX10.

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
                    TSMC N3E + TSMC N6
                    I read that it's N3B (formerly known as just N3), not N3E.‚Äč

Comment

Working...
                    X