Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farewell Intel Xeon Phi: Support Removed In The GCC 15 Compiler

Phoronix: Farewell Intel Xeon Phi: Support Removed In The GCC 15 Compiler

Last week I wrote about Intel aiming to remove Xeon Phi support in GCC 15 with the products being end-of-life and deprecated in GCC 14. While some openly wondered whether the open-source community would allow it given the Xeon Phi accelerators were available to buy just a few years ago and at some very low prices going back years so some potentially finding use still out of them especially during this AI boom (and still readily available to buy used for around ~$50 USD), today the Intel Xeon Phi support was indeed removed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is there a reason users of xeon phi can't just use gcc 14 or anything else that does support it? No new hardware, the hardware that does exist is niche, no one is putting a gun to your head to only use the latest gcc.

Comment

But apparently there are still third world environmentalists install hydrogen bombs over the head of AVX2-less and 32-bit users to force them use latest software, and if they don't, the world will end.

Comment

The world is greatly in need of leaner software. Get rid of this useless crap and go for more code removal if you like.

Comment

Originally posted by geerge View Post
          Is there a reason users of xeon phi can't just use gcc 14 or anything else that does support it? No new hardware, the hardware that does exist is niche, no one is putting a gun to your head to only use the latest gcc.
          What about supporting new(er) C and C++ standards? If I were an owner of a Xeon Phi machine, it's reasonable that I might want to write something in C++23, for instance.

(Note: I'm not saying that GCC maintainers should support something they don't want just because I want them to. I'm not paying for GCC, after all. But the general implication that there is no reason to use newer compilers for older hardware is false.)

Comment

Working...
          X