No announcement yet.

No Intel Poulsbo Driver For Ubuntu 9.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its offical. I will NEVER buy another Intel chipset.. The Acer Aspire One was my last Intel purchase. AMD from now on.

Comment

Calm down. If you think Intel Linux driver support is bad, then you haven't thing anything yet. If you want to use only open source software, no blobs, with AMD graphics then you will be stuck with incredibly slow performance, crashy applications, and only OpenGL 1.4 support even on the modern cards. And, it will be a significant amount of time before that changes very much. The Intel GMA 500/Poulsbo chip is basically the only Intel chip on the market that is not supported properly in Linux. There is support for every other GMA chip, including some that have yet to be released. There is support for the Intel network controller chips, ATA/SATA controllers, sound controllers, and wireless cards. Intel has even authored relatively significant amounts of the Linux kernel. The only reason the Poulsbo driver is lacking is because the hardware is licensed from another company, and Intel doesn't own the techology to make it open source.

Comment

Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
        Calm down. If you think Intel Linux driver support is bad, then you haven't thing anything yet. If you want to use only open source software, no blobs, with AMD graphics then you will be stuck with incredibly slow performance, crashy applications, and only OpenGL 1.4 support even on the modern cards.
        Who said anything about open-source drivers. Intel will not release *ANY* drivers for the Poulsbo, open source or otherwise!

The only reason the Poulsbo driver is lacking is because the hardware is licensed from another company, and Intel doesn't own the techology to make it open source.
        This is a tired argument. Intel is certainly capable of releasing a driver for the Poulsbo, they do it on windows. Why can't they do it on Linux? Forget about open-source, Intel won't even release an updated binary blob. That means users who bought a netbook with a GMA500 thinking (with good reason) they could run linux because thats what is used on the Mini-10 and Mini-12, are SOL unless they want to forever run an old version of Ubuntu.

C'mon Intel. At least release updated binary drivers like Nvidia or even Via!
        Last edited by gururise; 05 August 2009, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by billiob View Post
          The psb kernel module works almost ok on kernel 2.6.30 with patches from this git repository: http://koldfront.dk/gitweb?p=psb;a=summary
          Thanks I will check it out

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
            what a shitty blob. good that ubuntu simply says no to this shit.

it is intel's task to provide a proper driver, if they don't do it, it's their problem.
            simply buy no intel products as long as they mess around with their costumers...
            you missed the point.

where did Ubuntu say no? they've said yes to this in the past, they'd gladly bend over and take the blob if Intel would give it to them.

Intel have no interest in giving it to them despite Canonical asking for it.

Comment

Originally posted by grege View Post
              I have a suggestion, Intel should buy the company that made the GMA500, and then open source the hardware. I am sure it would be petty cash to them.
              I'd say the recent raise of Intel participation in ImgTec is not totally innocent...

Originally posted by airlied View Post
              where did Ubuntu say no? they've said yes to this in the past, they'd gladly bend over and take the blob if Intel would give it to them.

Intel have no interest in giving it to them despite Canonical asking for it.
              Exactly. Should Canonical have any business with Ubuntu 9.10 and Poulsbo devices, Intel would update the drivers. However, since they have nothing to present to Intel... And I'd prefer Intel spend time working on drivers for newer chips or adding (backporting) newer features to existing Poulsbo drivers, rather than working on drivers for a distribution that nobody will be using for real on this market.

Comment

Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
                I'd say the recent raise of Intel participation in ImgTec is not totally innocent...

Exactly. Should Canonical have any business with Ubuntu 9.10 and Poulsbo devices, Intel would update the drivers. However, since they have nothing to present to Intel... And I'd prefer Intel spend time working on drivers for newer chips or adding (backporting) newer features to existing Poulsbo drivers, rather than working on drivers for a distribution that nobody will be using for real on this market.
                Dell sell truck loads of Dell Inspiron Minis with this chipset and Ubuntu installed. A distribution that is being used for real and commercially. Will Dell simply throw up it's hands and stop selling Ubuntu Minis because driver support is lagging behind? Perhaps Canonical and Dell might point out how many sales will go begging unless the driver is updated and refined. Binary blobs do not bother me as long as they work. Nvidia is still the best Linux option by a mile, the AMD open source goodies still have a way to go. I would be happy with an updated and 3D working blob, as I do now with Nvidia. Once the AMD FOSS drivers mature I might just jump ship.

We will have to wait and see.

Comment

Dell sell truck loads of Dell Inspiron Minis with this chipset and Ubuntu installed. A distribution that is being used for real and commercially. Will Dell simply throw up it's hands and stop selling Ubuntu Minis because driver support is lagging behind? Perhaps Canonical and Dell might point out how many sales will go begging unless the driver is updated and refined. Binary blobs do not bother me as long as they work. Nvidia is still the best Linux option by a mile, the AMD open source goodies still have a way to go. I would be happy with an updated and 3D working blob, as I do now with Nvidia. Once the AMD FOSS drivers mature I might just jump ship.

We will have to wait and see.
                  Dell will keep shipping them with 9.04 for as long as necessary. Ubuntu does a lot of these one off deals with OEMs and generally after a single release they go to crap.

Dave.

Comment

Dell sell truck loads of Dell Inspiron Minis with this chipset and Ubuntu installed. A distribution that is being used for real and commercially.
                    Dell is not selling any notebook with Ubuntu 9.10. Please read what I wrote again. AFAIK, they are using Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, and this is a supported platform. It's even so with currently released IEGD driver.

Once the AMD FOSS drivers mature I might just jump ship.
                    I hope so even with HW video decoding acceleration using the dedicated ASIC... Currently, Intel remains the dominant player FOSS wise, even though this does not cover Poulsbo yet. Next is NVIDIA with very good quality drivers too, though totally proprietary and without any hope for this to change, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
                      Dell is not selling any notebook with Ubuntu 9.10. Please read what I wrote again. AFAIK, they are using Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, and this is a supported platform. It's even so with currently released IEGD driver.

I hope so even with HW video decoding acceleration using the dedicated ASIC... Currently, Intel remains the dominant player FOSS wise, even though this does not cover Poulsbo yet. Next is NVIDIA with very good quality drivers too, though totally proprietary and without any hope for this to change, IMHO.
                      Well as 9.10 does not come out until October it is hardly surprising that they do not sell it yet. I guess my point was that to keep selling they will eventually have to move up to the next LTS, which at the moment they will not be able to do. Dell do offer a 9.04 upgrade image. And, yes, other Intel products are very well supported. I have an EeePC 900 running a heavily modified Kubuntu (KDE 4.3, 2.6.30 and latest xorg and intel driver) that runs very well.

My daughters Mini 12 runs well enough for now, without 3d effects.

Comment

Working...
                      X