945-generation and OpenGL 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 945-generation and OpenGL 2.0

I have an acer aspire one (netbook) with a 945GME, and glxinfo only lists support for OpenGL 1.4 .
    I wanted to run an app that needs OpenGL 2.0, but I'm not really sure if it is possible on 945-generation intel graphics, even with all the latest drivers and other stuff from git.

Does anyone know if its possible to have OpenGL 2.0 on one of these?
    Code:
    > glxinfo | grep "OpenGL version"
    OpenGL version string: 1.4 Mesa 7.2

No hardware support for better. First Intel gpu to support GL 2.0 or better is the X3100.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      No hardware support for better. First Intel gpu to support GL 2.0 or better is the X3100.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA#GMA_900
      Damn... Thanks you're right I was assuming this was only a software 'issue' where it clearly is more of a hardware limitation.

Comment

Unless I don't understand something you can use whatever your version of mesa can do and it will do whatever it can on the GPU and the rest on the CPU. You're using a really old version of mesa, so I'd try upgrading X, mesa and kernel and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by szczerb View Post
          Unless I don't understand something you can use whatever your version of mesa can do and it will do whatever it can on the GPU and the rest on the CPU. You're using a really old version of mesa, so I'd try upgrading X, mesa and kernel and see what happens.
          I thought it might would work like that too, but the game I was trying checks the opengl version, and bails out if its not 2.0 or more (might need shader support or something). Maybe the legendary gallium will one day be able to fix this
          Last edited by [Knuckles]; 12 July 2009, 05:51 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

The really old version of mesa, that you're still using, reported 1.4 for GM965 (AKA X3100) that supports 2.0 (and now with current mesa glxinfo says:
            OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
            OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 965GM GEM 20090114
            OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.5-rc4
            OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20

So you really should update.

Comment

Originally posted by szczerb View Post
              The really old version of mesa, that you're still using, reported 1.4 for GM965 (AKA X3100) that supports 2.0 (and now with current mesa glxinfo says:
              OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 965GM GEM 20090114
              OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.5-rc4
              OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20

So you really should update.
              It's not a X3100, its a 945GME (aka GMA 950).

I'm going to try with the xorg-edgers livecd to test a recent kernel + everything else (also wanted to benchmark it a bit to see the difference between my old version and a bleeding edge one), but I don't think the newer version will report a higher opengl version for my hardware.

Comment

Yes, I do know that you've got the 945. I'm just saying that you have a really old mesa and it wouldn't hurt you to check.

Comment

Code:
                  ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ glxinfo | grep -i Opengl
                  OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 945GME GEM 20090114 x86/MMX/SSE2
                  OpenGL version string: 1.4 Mesa 7.6-devel
                  OpenGL extensions:
                  Unfortunately, no luck here :/

Comment

Code:
                    LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 glxinfo
                    I have no idea what effect that'll have on actual apps (I'd guess they'll be unusable...) but it gets me a reported OpenGL version of 2.1 at least.

Comment

Working...
                    X