X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ant P. View Post
    Code:
    LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 glxinfo
    I have no idea what effect that'll have on actual apps (I'd guess they'll be unusable...) but it gets me a reported OpenGL version of 2.1 at least.
    Yeah it does get me further on running the app I wanted, but now It complains of no support for GLSL 1.20. I'm guessing that there's no way currently to do the shaders in software.

But it would be interesting if we could get accelerated OpenGL with fallbacks for software only when needed -- maybe it could solve the problem for apps that just need a little feature from a newer release. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Comment

Yes, Gallium 3D will allow software fallbacks for the extensions that are not accelerated on hardware. A stable version of this is still at least a year out though. Note that the slowdown will be an order of magnitude and may not be worth the time. Just get better hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by crumja View Post
        Yes, Gallium 3D will allow software fallbacks for the extensions that are not accelerated on hardware. A stable version of this is still at least a year out though. Note that the slowdown will be an order of magnitude and may not be worth the time. Just get better hardware.
        Yeah I know, it was just curiosity, I wasn't expecting any miracles from this cheap netbook

But glad to hear that gallium seems to have it right.

Comment

(disclaimer: i haven't played with Gallium yet)

I would assume that Gallium will compile simple shaders for i945 (similar to what r300/400 can do), and of course vertex shaders will always fall back to software. Shader Model 3-ish things like branching won't work.

Also the software rasterizer will likely be quite a bit faster through LLVM JIT-ing SSE3 code for ya, but it'll probably need a stronger CPU to be reasonable. I'd say a Core 2 Quad might be vaguely decent for simpler things.
          Last edited by Chad Page; 21 July 2009, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Actually

The GMA 950 chipsets (i945GM i945GME) does support Shader 2.0. Mesa3D hasn't implemented the features.

High Performance 3D
            Up to 4 pixels per clock rendering
            Microsoft* DirectX* 9 Hardware Acceleration Features:
            Pixel Shader 2.0
            Volumetric Textures
            Shadow Maps
            Slope Scale Depth Bias
            Two-Sided Stencil
            Microsoft* DirectX* 9 Vertex Shader 3.0 and Transform and Lighting supported in software through highly optimized Processor Specific Geometry Pipeline (PSGP)
            Texture Decompression for DirectX* and OpenGL*
            OpenGL* 1.4 support plus ARB_vertex_buffer and EXT_shadow_funcs extensions and TexEnv shader caching

Seems like it's more about the numbers than the games. What's listed above is enought to develop a fantastic game. But not in linux, not yet. In another 8 months maybe the intel guys will have Xorg ship shape. Linux is years ahead of Windows in customization but at least 10 years behind in configuration. We just got device hot pluging last year and this year a proper Intel driver with Kernel Mode Setting.

Comment

well, with latest mesa git you can get OpenGL 2.0 an GLSL on i945:
              OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 945GME GEM 20090712 2009Q2 RC3 x86/MMX/SSE2
              OpenGL version string: 2.0 Mesa 7.8-devel
              OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20

you have to use driconf and enable "limited ARB_fragment_shader" and "enable stub ARB_occlusion_query"

btw, shadermodel 2.0 works fine over ARB_fragment_program without GLSL

Comment

Originally posted by .CME. View Post
                well, with latest mesa git you can get OpenGL 2.0 an GLSL on i945:
                OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 945GME GEM 20090712 2009Q2 RC3 x86/MMX/SSE2
                OpenGL version string: 2.0 Mesa 7.8-devel
                OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20

you have to use driconf and enable "limited ARB_fragment_shader" and "enable stub ARB_occlusion_query"

btw, shadermodel 2.0 works fine over ARB_fragment_program without GLSL
                Very interesting! I must try that out soon, thanks for the tip.

Comment

I can confirm that it works... kinda.

The app I was trying to run did start, but displayed very whacky screensaver-type visuals

But hey, getting closer!

Comment

Did someboy test gl2benchmark or zero ballistics with it?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      Did someboy test gl2benchmark or zero ballistics with it?
                      Is this gl2benchmark? Well, it segfaults with the development version of mesa, even with opengl 1.4, so no dice.

As for "Zero Ballistics" the game did start (even with just "enable stub ARB_occlusion_query", that gives OpenGL 1.5 support instead of 1.4), but when I tried to host a game I was met with a black screen.

So I would say currently this is just a curiosity, and not really newsworthy yet.

If you want to try it, it is very easy, just download a dev build of the new ubuntu http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/, and use the instructions for testing with live media from here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XorgOnTheEdge . That's how I tested it

Comment

Working...
                      X