Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel's Vulkan Linux Driver Temporarily No Longer Identifies As "Intel" For CP2077

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's Vulkan Linux Driver Temporarily No Longer Identifies As "Intel" For CP2077

Phoronix: Intel's Vulkan Linux Driver Temporarily No Longer Identifies As "Intel" For CP2077

As a temporary workaround for helping recent versions of Cyberpunk 2077 to run on Linux under Valve's Steam Play with Intel Arc Graphics, Intel's open-source Mesa driver is temporarily no longer identifying as "Intel" graphics via its graphics vendor ID in order to workaround an issue...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Intel's upscaler crashes Intel's GPU, what a joke

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
      Intel's upscaler crashes Intel's GPU, what a joke
      bUt InTel HaS hiGh quaLity SOfTwARE gUYS, UnliKe tHe CLOsED sOurCE GArBaGE froM nviDiA.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
        bUt InTel HaS hiGh quaLity SOfTwARE gUYS, UnliKe tHe CLOsED sOurCE GArBaGE froM nviDiA.
        It's probably missing bits of code from Vkd3d or Wine.
        You can't really expect Intel to support this kind of configurations.

Comment

TBH, never seen anyone saying something like this.

Comment

Wait, so now even graphics drivers are non-binary these days (or rather non-ternary)?

GPU: "Did you just assume my vendor?"
            User: "You have "Intel" written on your PCB!"
            GPU: "But I don't identify as Intel"

:-D

Comment

I would argue that none of both or AMD has software without flaws but I would also add that nvidia drivers has a lot of issues I personally really mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

I would argue that none of both or AMD has software without flaws but I would also add that nvidia drivers has a lot of issues I personally really mind.
                Such as?

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
                  Such as?
                  Still kinda mediocre Wayland Support. Nvidia Optimus is still mostly a PITA. I don't know how much time I spent on hybrid notebooks trying to get those to alter between low energy consumption (getting nvidia gpus to sleep is often a hassle) and being able to at least partially profit from the Nvidia GPU. Additionally no support for VA-API aside from inofficial wrappers being slightly unstable. I also had the joy of investigating extremely laggy Gnome navigation on colleagues devices, like described here:

In the past I've been bitten by being cut off from fixes because my GPU went into legacy state... and having a nvidia legacy GPU is no fun. It's not like AMD or intel, where you're still able to update your linux distro freely, you need to care a lot...

I could continue for much longer, with huge binary blob firmware, HDMI Audio woes, black screens, notebook GPUs running hot,... but you'll get the glimpse.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
                    I don't know how much time I spent on hybrid notebooks trying to get those to alter between low energy consumption (getting nvidia gpus to sleep is often a hassle)
                    I second that. My nVidia dGPU currently doesn't go to sleep at all on my MSI GS66 laptop even if I'm not running any game. It used to work fine, but at some point it broke. It's probably a kernel update that broke it, but this is the problem of having your driver living out-of-tree, and this is why Intel and AMD drivers will always be more stable than nVidia's. That is until nVidia manages to upstream their driver.

Comment

Working...
                    X