Intel Linux Graphics Driver Affected By Privilege Escalation Vulnerability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Linux Graphics Driver Affected By Privilege Escalation Vulnerability

Phoronix: Intel Linux Graphics Driver Affected By Privilege Escalation Vulnerability

Intel today published 38 new security advisories in their first Patch Tuesday roundabout since February. Among the new disclosures today are CVE-2023-28410 as an i915 Linux kernel graphics driver vulnerability that could lead to local privilege escalation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fortunately, the issue has been fixed upstream since Linux 6.2.10 when it was quietly resolved. So upgrade past that point if you are making use of Intel Linux graphics and concerned about local users potentially gaining elevated privileges.
    Has it been backported to the long term support kernels? (6.1.x, 5.15.x, ..)

Comment

Does anybody know what exactly got fixed?

I checked https://cdn.kernel.org/pub/linux/ker...angeLog-6.2.10, but nothing caught my eye.

Comment

Will there be any backports?

Comment

Originally posted by some_canuck View Post
          Will there be any backports?
          surely on all the longterm kernels (if needed) and in your distro kernel if it is actively maintained.

Comment

Linux users not knowing how to build their own kernel and asking for backported binaries.

So much for "Linux users are more capable than Windows users" and "Linux is about being able to fuck around with the system any way you want"

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
              Linux users not knowing how to build their own kernel and asking for backported binaries.
              Please explain how you come to the conclusion that the person asking for backports doesn't know how to build their own kernel. IMHO, there is a difference between not knowing and not wanting to.
              Last edited by oleid; 10 May 2023, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

So much for "Linux users are more capable than Windows users" and "Linux is about being able to fuck around with the system any way you want"
                Where did someone ask for backported binaries? I saw someone asking for backports. Which just as easily mean a patchset applicable for an older kernel. A backport doesn't imply a binary. It means to make something apply to an older version. Sometimes that can be done by the same patch, sometimes not. As such, a backport.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

Please explain how you come to the conclusion that the person asking for backports doesn't know how to build their own kernel. IMHO, there is a difference between not knowing and not wanting to.
                  It's explained by the usual fallacy. Pretending someone said something or made some argument that wasn't made. Just to "prove" their point. So silly.

Comment

It's okay, buddy doesn't need to know (and probably doesn't care) that I've been using gentoo for 20 years. Let him be an asshat.

We don't even know what commit fixed it, or else I would backport it to 6.1.x today. I'll guess we'll just wait and see if Greg can figure it out.

Comment

Working...
                    X