Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel XeSS SDK 1.1 Released

Phoronix: Intel XeSS SDK 1.1 Released

The Intel XeSS SDK 1.0 release happened last September while now has been succeeded by XeSS SDK 1.1. Though like the prior release, the XeSS SDK isn't fully open-source with just the bits around game integration being public...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

After Intel's initial announcement of XeSS, everyone was under the impression it'd be fully open-source, right? Looks like they didn't feel the need to correct this "misunderstanding".

Anyway, I could first-hand test XeSS on Arc, and it was less than underwhelming: Absurd motion blurring/ghosting of complex structures like foliage in either game. No idea how anyone actually would want to use it.
    If I were a game developer, I'd only implement it if Intel paid me. It makes much more sense to spend any free minute on properly implementing FSR 2, even though it looks like this may be harder.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
      After Intel's initial announcement of XeSS, everyone was under the impression it'd be fully open-source, right? Looks like they didn't feel the need to correct this "misunderstanding".
      When I read "open" in the XeSS presentation, I understood "vendor-neutral" instead of "open source". There's generally an expectation that in gaming technology, open source isn't the default

(Though even the "vendor-neutral" part leaves to be desired, since XeSS works best on Intel ARC GPUs with the dedicated codepath. Not only does it perform better, but it also looks better. The DP4a fallback isn't really worth using when there's FSR2.)

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
        The DP4a fallback isn't really worth using when there's FSR2.
        Firstly this. Then, as I stated, it also has absurd quality issues on Arc even with matrix cores path too. It is just light-years away from results where FSR 2 works great (e.g. Uncharted) or DLSS "preset C".

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
          Firstly this. Then, as I stated, it also has absurd quality issues on Arc even with matrix cores path too. It is just light-years away from results where FSR 2 works great (e.g. Uncharted) or DLSS "preset C".
          DLSS and FSR went through periods of horrible ghosting too.

That being said, being behind FSR/DLSS (and not just trying to make an Arc enhanced implementation of FSR) is certainly a problem.

Comment

Working...
          X