Plans Being Drafted To Upstream Intel's New "Xe" Linux Graphics Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plans Being Drafted To Upstream Intel's New "Xe" Linux Graphics Driver

Phoronix: Plans Being Drafted To Upstream Intel's New "Xe" Linux Graphics Driver

While the Linux 6.3 merge window has just begun, what you won't find in this next kernel version is the Intel Xe DRM driver as the new kernel graphics driver being worked on by the company for their modern integrated and discrete graphics processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

and also make the driver code more portable across different CPU architectures for benefiting Intel discrete GPUs on AArch64 / RISC-V / POWER
    Love that!
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I've been curious about what parts of Linux graphics happen in the kernel driver vs. Mesa and userland. Is there a good 'explain like I'm... forty' write-up of this? I thought the kernel side was rather 'light', but it's dawning on me that I might have the wrong impression, and I'm not hip enough to understand what's going on in /linux/drivers/gpu/drm/* .

Comment

My dream is Intel Xe graphics on a Intel-designed ARM or RISC-V CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by mangeek View Post
          I've been curious about what parts of Linux graphics happen in the kernel driver vs. Mesa and userland. Is there a good 'explain like I'm... forty' write-up of this? I thought the kernel side was rather 'light', but it's dawning on me that I might have the wrong impression, and I'm not hip enough to understand what's going on in /linux/drivers/gpu/drm/* .
          Does this blog post help? https://blogs.igalia.com/itoral/2014...raphics-stack/
          Note that it's a bit old so it only mentions X11.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermilion View Post

Does this blog post help?
            It does, but it seems to be more about what's outside of the kernel than inside. Seems like the kernel drivers expose several interfaces that could end up being used to accomplish 'picture on a screen'. Are there opportunities to make a kernel driver smaller/simpler if it only exposes a DRI path? Can other interfaces be piped through DRI (thinking of the console, DDX, etc.)?

Comment

First sentence, is run-on sentence:
              While the Linux 6.3 merge window has just begun, what you won't find in this next kernel version is the Intel Xe DRM driver as the new kernel graphics driver being worked on by the company for their modern integrated and discrete graphics processors.

Should be:
              While the Linux 6.3 merge window has just begun, what you won't find in this next kernel version is the newer Intel Xe DRM driver, as the newer kernel graphics driver IS being worked on by the company for their modern integrated and discrete graphics processors.

The "is" was apparently accidentally omitted, creating a run-on sentence. Also should add "newer" to the initial mention of the "Intel Xe DRM driver" for reading clarity.

With respect towards every writer's own methods, typically "won't" should be written as "will not", but again, this is up to each and every individual's writing techniques.

Shrugs... main problem was the run-on sentence.

Comment

What bugs me with the re-write, although looks like a really good thing, wondering if this Intel i915 DRM re-write will turn into another systemd method of tearing apart something working and stable on X/Xorg, with the re-written i915/Xe driver subsequently only being stable when using Wayland in comparison to X/Xorg.

Hopefully I'm just being overly touchy-feely on this.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  My dream is Intel Xe graphics on a Intel-designed ARM or RISC-V CPU.
                  My dream is sometime in the far far future, millennia later, people will stop thinking x64 adds significant overhead at modern process nodes and any tiny overhead it still adds is worth it immensely for software compatibility.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerx View Post
                    What bugs me with the re-write, although looks like a really good thing, wondering if this Intel i915 DRM re-write will turn into another systemd method of tearing apart something working and stable on X/Xorg, with the re-written i915/Xe driver subsequently only being stable when using Wayland in comparison to X/Xorg.

Hopefully I'm just being overly touchy-feely on this.
                    You are... While i do agree that testing on X won't be a priority considering it is an obsolete platform, the 2 drivers use the same interfaces with the user stack, so if one works the other should probably work the same. Only the internals of the drivers will change.

Comment

Working...
                    X