Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.2 Performance Option Helps Extend The Longevity Of Intel Skylake Era PCs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.2 Performance Option Helps Extend The Longevity Of Intel Skylake Era PCs

Phoronix: Linux 6.2 Performance Option Helps Extend The Longevity Of Intel Skylake Era PCs

One of the new features introduced with Linux 6.2 is Call Depth Tracking and it can help extend the useful service life of Intel Skylake through Coffeelake era processors in providing better performance than is otherwise found out-of-the-box on Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You know what Helps Extend The Longevity Of Intel Skylake Era PCs:

mitigations=off

Comment

Originally posted by bobbie424242 View Post

mitigations=off

On a Haswell system also:

i915.mitigations=off

Comment

mitigations=off has long been not enough.

Userspace has long been built with spectre mitigations as well, so you basically need to recompile your entire system source code and revert/disable microcode updates to get the original performance back. Or you could simply install an old Linux distro or unpatched Windows 7 SP1/8.1 which have zero mitigations in place.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
          Userspace has long been built with spectre mitigations as well
          What userspace mitigations are you thinking about?
          I mean, the ones that apparently are built in everywhere?

Comment

I think for haswell / skylake you just have to use an older bios that doesn't contain the cpu microcode update which mitigates the vulnerabilities.
            Then make sure to disable microcode updates in your Linux OS and boot with: mitigations=off and i915.mitigations=off.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbie424242 View Post

mitigations=off

^^ this, to hell with these mitigations, and newer kernel does not mean better & faster. You can comfortably use Ubuntu LTS 16.04.7 with comfy Unity DE, snappy compiz compositor, peak app uniformity (all gnome/gtk app patched with global menu). I don't know anybody that got hacked by a rouge javascript in their browser because he/she was running unmitigated system.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post

^^ this, to hell with these mitigations, and newer kernel does not mean better & faster. .... I don't know anybody that got hacked by a rouge javascript in their browser because he/she was running unmitigated system.
                Yes, the herd immunity is likely good enough for the exploit pressure to be low. Haven't found the need to run around unprotected yet, but maybe I should consider trying it out for my i7-6560U laptop. ... or maybe I should just wait for the 6.2 kernel to trickle out and avoid the fuss.

Comment

If an Apollo Lake with a fraction of Skylake's performance is entirely capable of running Windows 11 with a satisfactory experience , there's absolutely no reason it can't perform just as well on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
                    I think for haswell / skylake you just have to use an older bios that doesn't contain the cpu microcode update which mitigates the vulnerabilities.
                    Then make sure to disable microcode updates in your Linux OS and boot with: mitigations=off and i915.mitigations=off.
                    A phoronix benchmark would settle this question

Comment

Working...
                    X