Intel Releases Packaged Arc Graphics Driver For Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

The CLI crowd continues to desire to keep us locked out.

I don't understand where this animosity comes from.
    Your lack of interest in learning how to use your system, is not a lockout. If you have a good CLI, then anyone can easily make a GUI for it. But the problem is when people who don't want to pay, also wants to spend expensive developer resources on basic things like making a GUI frontend for a CLI.

Raise money or learn how to make a GUI frontend. I completely agree that GUIs are nice to have, as long as I don't have to pay for them.

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post

Your lack of interest in learning how to use your system, is not a lockout. If you have a good CLI, then anyone can easily make a GUI for it. But the problem is when people who don't want to pay, also wants to spend expensive developer resources on basic things like making a GUI frontend for a CLI.

Raise money or learn how to make a GUI frontend. I completely agree that GUIs are nice to have, as long as I don't have to pay for them.
      IMO you pay for them when you buy the gpu

Comment

Hey got the a750 working... sort of.

Set i915.force_probe= $your_pci_id

Ubuntu-22.04 works with Intel's Linux kernel 5.17 driver repository. I just needed to disable CSM and set the internal graphics priority to auto within the BIOS. However, the mouse and mouse pointer significantly stutters with glxgears running.

Ubuntu-Studio-22.04 - did the previous with BIOS settings and ended-up booting into a corrupt display. The display looks like it was configured with bad or corrupt timings.

Void Linux (A real man's distro) - needed to set a simple xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf using the fbdev (framebuffer) driver. Trying the intel driver, results in a unknown chipset error within Xorg log. The modesetting driver also fails with bit depth not supported error within Xorg log.

My guess is, the Intel repository has an Intel hacked xf86-video-intel package, specifically the intel driver file, with added chipset PCI IDs for ARC? Where's the source code for the Intel repository?
        Last edited by rogerx; 24 October 2022, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
          EDIT: booting to the PC using the ubuntu kernel, wlroots is broken and so is XFCE, only weston worked for me. no issues when I booted back to other kernel, so it's only good for testing
          same here - only wayland stuff works with their backport kernel at my end - every other xserver flavor gives fuzzy LSD colors

Comment

Originally posted by photom View Post

same here - only wayland stuff works with their backport kernel at my end - every other xserver flavor gives fuzzy LSD colors
            I plan on remaking a DKMS since intel added a backport for the newest linux LTS in a PR,

Comment

I plan on remaking a DKMS since intel added a backport for the newest linux LTS in a PR,
              I also learned a lot (and confirmed my findings) reading you on github, thank you for your efforts - I'll join in there once I have some news from Intel

EDIT: Finally got the linux stack working "almost" feature complete - reason for all the problems: Intel repo is a bit behind after documentation / async - either build/compile your own software stack or adapt to the repo versions...
              Last edited by photom; 10 November 2022, 08:02 PM.

Comment

IMO you pay for them when you buy the gpu
                I would rather pay for my hardware than your GUI. Particularly if my GUI is much better than the one you want me to pay extra for.

Comment

please stop that (G)UI non-sense - Nvidia has one for Linux/Windows but you don't need that for production use at all - and it's not that great
                  AMD and Intel also have a GUI for Windows with a lot of bells and whistles - not replicated for linux because it's not needed - it's just for the people who like shiny bells and whistles

Who really needs that? Please enlighten us
                  - displaying your stats, there are better tools available - and those can be integrated in your personal monitoring solution
                  - overclocking-changes every day? Think about your changes
                  - changing your hardware settings every day? Think about your changes

EDIT: Sorry friends that sounds bickering, but I would really like to know about the use case in detail
                  Last edited by photom; 11 November 2022, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by photom View Post
                    it's just for the people who like shiny bells and whistles
                    when I spend hundreds of dollars on a GPU, I want all the bells and whistles. and they better shine too

Comment

Working...
                    X