Intel Releases Packaged Arc Graphics Driver For Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

GUI?! (In Leonidis’ voice). This. Is. Linux!
    ..proceeds to kick into the abyss of CLI

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
      Does it install any sort of a GUI control panel?
      Given how broken the UI is for Windows (on launch it didn't have even the most basic of functionality, and even today it's a mess).. I wouldn't trust it not to delete all your files.

Intel Arc drivers will move to combined package later this year, “no more installers issues” The importance of independent testing.  Lisa Pearce, the Vice President of Intel’s Visual Computing Group, published a blog post explaining some recent development regarding Arc graphics software development. Some important topics were covered, but in general not much new has […]

LAST FEW DAYS to grab a Limited GN CyberSkeleton shirt! https://store.gamersnexus.net/products/limited-edition-foil-skeletal-cotton-t-shirt-with-pc-component...

Comment

Originally posted by nyanmisaka View Post
        After trying DG2 (Arc A380) on Linux 6.0, I found that VAAPI and other media functions are still not available. Hopefully one day we can get rid of these DKMS that haven't been upsteamed yet.
        What Mesa Version did you use?

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
          booting to the PC using the ubuntu kernel, wlroots is broken and so is XFCE, only weston worked for me. no issues when I booted back to other kernel, so it's only good for testing
          You mean with Xubuntu 22.10 I will not be able to use hardware decoding? The kernel can be updated easily from 5.19 to 6.0 or 6.1rc. And Mesa 22.2 is already there. I ask because I plan to buy an A380 to get 4K60 Youtube videos to work. My old CPU is too slow for this.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
            The CLI crowd continues to desire to keep us locked out.

I don't understand where this animosity comes from.
            While there are maybe some CLI nuts who insist on keeping out GUI tools (kind of ironic considering the point of a GPU is for graphics), for people like myself, I don't see much of a reason to have GUI tool for GPUs. Think about it, what would the tool offer? Sensor data? Adjusting the resolution? Rotating the display? Application-specific tweaks? Showing specs about your GPU? You don't need a vendor-specific tool for any of that. To me, it's just a symptom of "Windows does it, therefore, I want it" even when it isn't necessary. Even back when I used to only use Windows, I would try to find ways to remove the extraneous control panels for GPUs, because I saw them as nothing but unnecessary bloat. I just wanted the drivers and nothing else.
            For things like power profiles or overclocking, I could see a preference for a graphical tool, but even then, it's not hard to use the CLI ones.

Considering the demand for this kind of thing, I'm a little surprised nobody bothered to make one.
            Last edited by schmidtbag; 21 October 2022, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dc_coder_84 View Post

What Mesa Version did you use?
              Intel's media-driver aka iHD is independent of Mesa drivers that provide ANV Vulkan driver. Also, Vulkan and OpenCL(NEO) works just fine.

Comment

You mean with Xubuntu 22.10 I will not be able to use hardware decoding? The kernel can be updated easily from 5.19 to 6.0 or 6.1rc. And Mesa 22.2 is already there. I ask because I plan to buy an A380 to get 4K60 Youtube videos to work. My old CPU is too slow for this.
                Yes, unless you build and install the patched kernel. Intel only provide prebuilt DKMS for 20.04 LTS and 22.04 LTS.

Comment

No. It's likely a consequence of using an outdated kernel when a lot of stuff, including mesa, is built on whatever Torvalds' branch is right now. if you are on SLES, RHEL, or Ubuntu based distros then intel has instructions on how to make the dkms package, or it probably even already has them in your distro's repo.

it should work fine on those distros, not something i've tested personally however.

Comment

I have an Intel Arc 750 and Void Linux seems to be having a problem with kernel 6.0 loading the guc firmaware.

Sounds like I'm going to have to muck around with the kernel config... From mike's documentation here, the guc firmware-git is required, and should be loading... likely a kernel config option not set.

One thing nVidia did correctly, almost everything was working without using any graphical interface tools, all configurations mitigated to either module options or xorg.conf file. I think a lot of graphical tools are really eye-candy, only useful for those with an actual disability.

So far, the frame rates for this Intel Arc 750 seem to be as expected, very competitive with nVidia's recent video cards. All the hype so far, seems to be just hype, except for the software/driver configurations.
                    Last edited by rogerx; 22 October 2022, 02:20 AM.

Comment

Well so far, on ubuntustudio-22.04 I tried and at Step 4 reboot, I had no displays on reboot with the displays connected to CPU iGFX ports, or on the Intel Arc 750 outputs.

So going to install ubuntu-22.04 for kicks. Watch those instructions bork this install too.

I also find it funny the instructions are instructing installing ~200 packages (more like 40-50 packages), and our perception was only a firmware blob was required to get the Intel Arc GPU up and running.

So far, I've only seen the HDMI port of the Intel Arc 750 working with no/never Display Ports working on Linux. (Void Linux using xbps-src linux6.0.) Only Windows 10 seems to be functioning normally, with both HDMI and Display Ports working, except for the GPU controller software. ARMA3 game seems functioning well too.

Comment

Working...
                      X