Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sin2x
    replied
    piotrj3 You didnt't even bother to check that Zen 4 utilizes 5nm process, not 7, Intel fanboi. The rest of your post is more of the same pathetic cringe as the previous commenter so graciously provided for my amusement. Hell, I almost choked myself laughing seeing " Intel almost nowhere uses 125W figure" when this is literally the official TDP of the processor with 253W max Turbo that is still a whopping 82W lower that what happens in the real world. Keep fighting physics with your quixotic​ deflections and keep selecting statistically outlying benchmarks like your Far Cry 6 video example to prove your points, I can't get enough of you! Idiocracy at its finest.
    Last edited by Sin2x; 21 October 2022, 06:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• piotrj3
    replied
    Originally posted by Sin2x View Post

335W peak consumption​ for a 125W desktop processor reflects the obsolete nature of 10nm manufacturing process well enough for me. Your attempts at defending Intel in this matter look pathetic, to say the least. And no, you can't fight physics with marketing and configuration gimmicks.
    First any "nm" is purely marketing term. 10nm is any arbitrary number, and Intel 10nm is more efficient then 7nm TSMC.

Second, by far most important metric in power consumption is frequency as power consumption will increase exponentially with higher frequency. This has nothing to do with 10 nm or 7nm, simply 5.8GHz will be hot regardless if it is from AMD or Intel, just Intel is only one daring to go that far.

Third. Then you should totally bash on zen 4 because in cinebench/blender 5950X is producing more work per watt then 7950X (and it is quite notable). Why because AMD also pushed frequency up.

Forth. Intel almost nowhere uses 125W figure, they use in some places 253W figure, but Intel is not strict in enforcing power limits, so a motherboard manufacturers commonly put PL1 unlimited and you have 335W power consumption. In reality Intel set to 253W (official guidenace) is very competitive with Ryzen 7950X set out of box (that will be constantly pushing 230-250W).

Fifth. Efficiency in rendering test like Cinebench/Blender is garbage (Who uses CPUs for rendering in 2022 please leave the room and rethink your life). Efficiency per watt is important in your gaming session, in webrowsing, idle power consumption, if you make a lot of programming maybe in code compilation. And how does there Intel compare - in gaming 13900k is more efficient FPS/watt then 7950X ( proof https://youtu.be/H4Bm0Wr6OEQ?t=418 ).

This is a thing, I don't care what is peak power draw (or at least i dont' care much because it might impact a little my choice of PSU, but not dramatically). I care about what is power consumption in gaming (that i do quite a lot). What is power consumption in typical Firefox webrowsing. I care what is power consumption when idle. I don't care about rendering in cinebench/blender. I care little about decompression/compression efficiency as that takes maybe few seconds of a day. Code compilation i might compile something few times but typical projects i am making will again compile in seconds so it is not significant comparing to whole day. 2 hours of gaming per day - yup that will accumulate to quite a lot of energy. 10 hours of firefox or chrome - that will be even more energy. The only workload that is quite heavy on power draw and i can imagine most people care about is software encoding of videos. But they are not perfectly scalling workloads in manner of cores so results aren't looking like in cinebench or blender.
    Last edited by piotrj3; 21 October 2022, 06:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sin2x
    replied
    Originally posted by atomsymbol

No, reviews of Ryzen 7000 and Core 13000 do not reflect real-world usage of those CPUs. Instead, you should be looking at how the power consumption in multi-core scenarios can be configured in order to achieve an optimal power-performance ratio.
    335W peak consumption​ for a 125W desktop processor reflects the obsolete nature of 10nm manufacturing process well enough for me. Your attempts at defending Intel in this matter look pathetic, to say the least. And no, you can't fight physics with marketing and configuration gimmicks.
    Last edited by Sin2x; 21 October 2022, 05:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sin2x
    replied
    Originally posted by atomsymbol

You should be comparing transistor density per mm^2 (or per mm^3, number of layers).
    No, I should be looking at the 335W peak consumption: https://www.anandtech.com/show/17601...600k-review/18

Leave a comment:

• Sin2x
    replied
    And it's still 10nm. Yep, in 2022. I pity those would buy that horseshit.

Leave a comment:

• Drago
    replied
    Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

This is still confusing to a lot of people. We are used to (by all AMD, Intel, Nvidia) that first number is architecture/series, 2nd number is indicating tier. 3rd number is some minor revision and letter could indicate if product is overclocking, or power saving etc. RTX 4090 - 4 series RTX, 90 high model. 13900k - 13 series, 900 high model.

Then you have 7640U, what means essentially 1st number is useless, and the most important number is 3rd.
    I do not agree with you. Yes, for you, for me, for everybody on this forum the 3rd number, but for much many more people the year or release is more telling number, of how "new" PC they have. Heck, I even have colleagues software developers that didn't know Zen4 is a thing. Frankly having one universal CPU/GPU bechmark, and posting this numbers will be the utter model number. It will always increase.
    AMD C40KG10KU - CPU bench 40K points, GPU bench 10K points, Ultra low power. Which can even compact to 40K10KU.

AMD, intel, nvidia etc, need to appoint Kronos group to make a benchmark, and all use it.

Leave a comment:

• piotrj3
    replied
    Originally posted by Drago View Post

If you got the latest naming scheme from AMD, it would not be so confusing. 3-rd number from the model name is the Zen architecture.
    So Ryzen 7640U is Zen4.
    This is still confusing to a lot of people. We are used to (by all AMD, Intel, Nvidia) that first number is architecture/series, 2nd number is indicating tier. 3rd number is some minor revision and letter could indicate if product is overclocking, or power saving etc. RTX 4090 - 4 series RTX, 90 high model. 13900k - 13 series, 900 high model.

Then you have 7640U, what means essentially 1st number is useless, and the most important number is 3rd.

Leave a comment:

• numacross
    replied
    Originally posted by Drago View Post

If you got the latest naming scheme from AMD, it would not be so confusing. 3-rd number from the model name is the Zen architecture.
    So Ryzen 7640U is Zen4.
    I am aware of their new naming scheme, which is not good in my opinion. For a typical person looking to buy a laptop it's going to be very confusing, especially since for five generation it's been a different scheme. Mixing Zen 2, 3 and 4 in the same time range doesn't help either. While mixing 2 and 3 can be somewhat excused, adding Zen 4 to the mix is a bad idea due to it having AVX-512 capabilities.

Leave a comment:

• Drago
    replied
    Originally posted by numacross View Post

Unfortunately competitors are as riddled with confusing marketing names, for example Ryzen mobile:
    • Zen 2, GCN5 - Ryzen 4000 series
    • Zen 2, GCN5 - Ryzen 5000, but only 5300U, 5500U and 5700U
    • Zen 3, GCN5 - Ryzen 5000 series excluding the Zen 2 models above
    • Zen 3+, RDNA2 - Ryzen 6000 series
    • Zen 2, RDNA2 - Ryzen 7320U and 7520U
    Leaked 7000 series adds even more to the confusion above:
    • Zen 4, RDNA3 (rumored) - Ryzen 7640U
    • Zen 3, GCN5 (rumored) - Ryzen 7630U
    Which would bring it to 3 different CPU architectures and 3 different GPU architectures in the 7000 product series...

It's also rumored that lower end of Intel Raptor Lake (13th gen) will use simply rebranded Alder Lake (12th gen) dies.
    So Ryzen 7640U is Zen4.

Leave a comment:

• numacross
    replied
    Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
    Gotta love brand confusion. Marketing: Let's revive the old brand! Give people reason to love it! Customers: Great, yet more Old Brand crap. Where's the new shiny we were promised? Nemind, I'll buy competitor instead.
    Unfortunately competitors are as riddled with confusing marketing names, for example Ryzen mobile:
    • Zen 2, GCN5 - Ryzen 4000 series
    • Zen 2, GCN5 - Ryzen 5000, but only 5300U, 5500U and 5700U
    • Zen 3, GCN5 - Ryzen 5000 series excluding the Zen 2 models above
    • Zen 3+, RDNA2 - Ryzen 6000 series
    • Zen 2, RDNA2 - Ryzen 7320U and 7520U
    Leaked 7000 series adds even more to the confusion above:
    • Zen 4, RDNA3 (rumored) - Ryzen 7640U
    • Zen 3, GCN5 (rumored) - Ryzen 7630U
    Which would bring it to 3 different CPU architectures and 3 different GPU architectures in the 7000 product series...

It's also rumored that lower end of Intel Raptor Lake (13th gen) will use simply rebranded Alder Lake (12th gen) dies.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X