No announcement yet.

Intel Arc Graphics A750 + A770 Linux Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Among the few unimplemented features is the Vulkan sparse support needed for some VKD3D-Proton games like DIRT 5, Deathloop, Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, Forza Horizon 4/5, and other modern titles.​
    This seems like a rather important shortcoming to me, as it effectively prevents any of the newer games from running in Linux.
    I was hoping hat Intel would have fixed it in time for the Arc-launch but as this has not happened, I would prefer if someone with significant reach could call them out for it.

Comment

Michael since you already calculated performance per dollar for all individual tests could you also add a geometric mean of performance per dollar next time you do such an analysis?
      I know I can calculate them myself but this would be a major convenience improvement.
      Thanks in advance.

Comment

I wouldn't call these a great buy. Right now the 6600 XT is faster than the A770, and is usually around $300 new. On Ebay the 6600 XT can be found used for $250 and sometimes even less. The RTX 3060 is just a little bellow $300 off Ebay used. Maybe if the A750 was $200 and the A770 was $250 I'd be all for it, but at nearly $300 you have far better choices.

Comment

Power efficiency is low according to Windows reviews.

The A770 draws about as much as a 3070, while the A750 draws as much as a 3060 TI under load. Which means the task energy is generally higher, even in games it favours like Forza Horizon 5.

Comment

Michael good tests but where stay 1080p tests specially with Arc A750

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
              I wouldn't call these a great buy. Right now the 6600 XT is faster than the A770, and is usually around $300 new. On Ebay the 6600 XT can be found used for $250 and sometimes even less. The RTX 3060 is just a little bellow $300 off Ebay used. Maybe if the A750 was $200 and the A770 was $250 I'd be all for it, but at nearly $300 you have far better choices.
              16GB would be great for compute and 3D rendering, e.g. with Blender. Competitors like the 6600 XT have a lower amount of VRAM. And, personally I wouldn't purchase anyway an 8 GB VRAM GPU in 2022 even if just for gaming, unless forced to. Learned my lesson with the 4GB RX480 I got in 2016, when the 8 GB version was available.

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post
              Power efficiency is low according to Windows reviews.

The A770 draws about as much as a 3070, while the A750 draws as much as a 3060 TI under load. Which means the task energy is generally higher, even in games it favours like Forza Horizon 5.
              ​Power efficiency under load is probably not a too big a problem and likely dependent on the default clock settings. More concerning is the idle/desktop consumption, where the GPU will stay most of the time in most use cases, even professional.
              Last edited by Solid State Brain; 05 October 2022, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Michael can you confirm SR-IOV support? That feature alone will dictate whether I buy a 16 GB A770 or pass on this gen.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                  A700 uses a larger die than the RX 6600 XT (237 mm^2 vs 406 mm^2)

So Intel probably has a higher cost floor... but yeah, they should undercut AMD/Nvidia even more if they want to gain marketshare.

*Hopefully* this big die means Arc has more driver optimization headroom, like the AMD 7950/7970 (which were slower than the smaller-die 680 at launch, but much faster years later).

Comment

This is not great product from Intel for my needs but I am happy to have another competitor making video cards for a linux nerd like me.
                    I can not consider purchasing one of these cards until H1'2023, when Linux distributions when should have more mature out-of-the-box support.
                    I am more excited to see what Intel can do with a generation 2 and 3 of its video cards.

Hopefully Intel knows they need to greatly improve their out-of-the-box support in linux distributions so that they work out of the box. Not everyone that uses linux is a grey beard level linux user.

Comment

Interested in Blender benchmarks. OpenData doesn't really have something currently, so I'd love to know how these stack up against NVIDIA.

Comment

Working...
                      X