Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Arc Graphics A770 Launching 12 October For $329 USD

Phoronix: Intel Arc Graphics A770 Launching 12 October For $329 USD

In addition to announcing 13th Gen Core "Raptor Lake" CPUs, Intel also announced their Arc Graphics A770 flagship graphics card will be launching in just two weeks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would be already great if they are on par or slightly better then their nvidia/and counterpart. I would assume good drivers as we already know from the iGPu. If this is the case I think they are going to have a lot of customers.

Comment

At that price, they might have a compelling offering. We'll see.

I'm so disappointed by Nvidia's pricing & power trend that I might be really tempted to get one of these, depending on how RDNA 3 looks. That said, I don't have any strong performance demands, or else it might not even be an option.

Comment

It would be all good if it wasn't for all the rumours that Intel is cancelling future discrete graphic cards due to development cost and the market not being in a "buy everything" that was a few months ago. They are releasing this because these cards now because the cards were ready and was sitting around until the drivers were in a "good enough" status.
        So, despite wanting more competition in this market, I'm skeptical of buying if the platform might be dead in a year or so. So I'd wait for the 2nd or 3rd generation to jump in, don't want to be like HDDVD or Betamax.

Comment

for that price it has to hands down trounce the rx66 and rx67 families otherwise will be a shell warmer

Comment

I just took a look at the benchmarks on Intel's promotion page. It advertises running Cyberpunk 2077 @ just over 60 FPS at a resolution of 1440p for the A770. That's pretty unimpressive really. I can already get that on an AMD 5500XT. Granted that's without ray tracing, which doesn't really add a lot to the experience for the most part. Sure that's great for Intel GPUs which are still traditionally pretty anemic even with Xe graphics compared to discrete cards from AMD or Nvidia, but if you're in the market for a gaming class GPU like this is marketed for, you can certainly do better performance wise. This is going to boil down to whether or not these cards are easily available versus the competition, if Intel is going to have decent drivers (that's not necessarily a given - they've been traditionally awful with graphics drivers with several generations), and whether or not they'll even work (properly) with anything other than Intel CPUs.

It's not just been how bad Intel's iGPUs have performed in the past. It's also been just how truly awful their drivers have been when doing anything other than running basic productivity. There are several cases I can think of where Intel drivers were so bad as to be unusable with very undemanding games with graphical glitches and texture corruption, and those problems were never fixed. They dropped support instead.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
              At that price, they might have a compelling offering. We'll see.

I'm so disappointed by Nvidia's pricing & power trend that I might be really tempted to get one of these, depending on how RDNA 3 looks. That said, I don't have any strong performance demands, or else it might not even be an option.
              I am 100% with you on seeing how RDNA 3 stacks ups. I am also curios to see how the Intel A770 handles GPU compute loads and if they can cobble together anything close to CUDA. At least ROCm is starting to look like something these days!

Comment

If it supported SR-IOV or GVT-g then regardless of performance compared to Nvidia and AMD I would still buy it. Within reason of course, it'd need to be close to 3070 performance.

Edit: clarification

Comment

Originally posted by loligans View Post
                  If it supported SR-IOV or GVT-g then regardless of performance compared to Nvidia and AMD I would still buy it. Within reason of course, it'd need to be close to 3070 performance.

Edit: clarification
                  Intel already said that performance is around 3060 and 3060ti

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                    I'm so disappointed by Nvidia's pricing & power trend that I might be really tempted to get one of these, depending on how RDNA 3 looks.
                    Neither AMD or NVidia are releasing cards with comparably low performance anytime soon. The new generations are going to be high performance only for at least 9 months, would be my guess, while all the old stock from the current gens gets sold and mining cards saturate the used market.

So the relevant comparison for the A770 is going to be RDNA2 and Ampere cards. The only question is what prices will be for them.

Comment

Working...
                    X