Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Intel Processor" Replaces Pentium & Celeron Brands

Phoronix: "Intel Processor" Replaces Pentium & Celeron Brands

Intel announced today that beginning with 2023 notebooks, the Intel Pentium and Intel Celeron brands will be replaced by... Intel Processor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I mean, if I have to choose between a CPU called "processor" and a screen called the "optix mpg321ur-qd", I certainly won't complain about Intel's lack of creativity.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahboi View Post
      I mean, if I have to choose between a CPU called "processor" and a screen called the "optix mpg321ur-qd", I certainly won't complain about Intel's lack of creativity.
      Don't dizz the mpg321ur-qd. It much better value than the STD1274-W4K

Comment

Will somebody tell Intel marketing that most people don't buy based on the processor name inside, they buy based on the price (and sometimes the manufacturer name)? And the people who do buy based on the processor don't care so what it is named(*), they care about the benchmark results.

(*) "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

Comment

the Intel Pentium and Intel Celeron brands will be replaced by... Intel Processor...
          Uh, Pat, my dude, are we sure we want the common consumer to associate the Intel brand with crap computing? Because the "Intel Processor" sticker will not be applied to any speed demon, if the intention is to replace Pentium and Celeron...

The last thing you want, after a miserable experience with low end systems with a "Intel Processor", is a tech-impaired consumer to run away from a Core i7, after seen "Intel" as the first name on the sticker.
          Last edited by M@GOid; 16 September 2022, 03:42 PM. Reason: The lizard people told me to.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Uh, Pat, my dude, are we sure that we want the common consumer to associate the Intel brand to crap computing? Because the "Intel Processor" sticker will not be applied to any speed demon, if the intention is to replace Pentium and Celeron...

The last thing you want, after a miserable experience with low end systems with a "Intel Processor", is to a tech-impaired consumer to run away from a Core i7, after seen the name "Intel" as the first name on the sticker.
            Exactly. I don't get that move either unless they want to wreak their brand intentionally. They could have scrapped one of the two, but not both.

Comment

Let's hope they'll use this opportunity to deprecate/stop selling CPUs having fewer than four physical cores. Nowadays systems with dual-core CPUs are a pain to use and Intel dares sell Celeron G6900 (from the same generation as Alder Lake) which has just two cores and no HT. That's just ugly.
              Last edited by birdie; 16 September 2022, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

Exactly. I don't get that move either unless they want to wreak their brand intentionally. They could have scrapped one of the two, but not both.
                My thought too. I would discard "Celeron", since it always had been associated with bad CPUs, and keep "Pentium", that at least still had some goodwill among the tech crowd.

Comment

Some random thoughts on this:

I have seen worse naming schemes. I have also seen many better naming schemes. "I have an Intel processor, err that is not an Intel Processor, it is an Intel Core.. You know what I mean"

Wouldn't it be more sensible to standardise around one of the existing brands that already have some recognition? Like Atom.

Also it is quite telling that it is the budget brands being renamed. The Core brand (especially i7 and i9) has some status. Don't want to kill that obviously.

When did Intel last do a major renaming of their high end CPUs? After the fiasco that was Pentium 4. Then we got Core. With a minor shakeup after Core 2 to split it into i3/i5/i7/i9 (not sure if all those segments are original or if some showed up over time).

The budget CPUs change branding much more often. They don't have great goodwill, so instead they want to wash the bad performance association away by renaming.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

Don't dizz the mpg321ur-qd. It much better value than the STD1274-W4K
                    Your post makes me realise that maybe they're not stuck in horrible corporate speak, maybe they're trying to meme their products into popularity.

"bro, the ur-qd is for simps, W4K it's all in the name"

Comment

Working...
                    X