No announcement yet.

"Intel Processor" Replaces Pentium & Celeron Brands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

interesting name aside, im glad they are cleaning up house, there are a few families that can effectively be wrapped up into a single family... interesting name aside

Comment

Originally posted by Svyatko View Post

Dreamer...
      Market likes shitty solutions. Such as 2 cores / 2 threads Celerons, or VGA input in a LCD display - without any digital inputs.

CPUs with 2 cores / 4 threads are OK in office use.
      They are moving from a 4-core die for Atom (Jasper Lake) to 8-core (Alder Lake-N).

Also, no more Celerons. They are Intel Processors now. :P

Comment

Originally posted by evasb View Post
        Celeron is pretty okay getting rid of, but the Pentium brand would be useful for this.
        To the average person walking around a mega store and looking at one of the floor model laptops, what exactly does Pentium mean? It's the same as Atom and Celeron; just a name. The average person doesn't know what low-end or high-end is.

Anyone that doesn't know what they're looking for likely knows what Intel is since they have advertising. They don't need numbers or speed on a floor model, and the average person isn't knowledgeable about i3/i5/i7/HT/K or other nonsense. If you buy a laptop out of a mega store, you likely want it for some general usage or something. This is where "Intel Processor" makes sense.

Anyone that knows what they're looking for already knows what they're doing and this shouldn't change anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

To the average person walking around a mega store and looking at one of the floor model laptops, what exactly does Pentium mean? It's the same as Atom and Celeron; just a name. The average person doesn't know what low-end or high-end is.

Anyone that doesn't know what they're looking for likely knows what Intel is since they have advertising. They don't need numbers or speed on a floor model, and the average person isn't knowledgeable about i3/i5/i7/HT/K or other nonsense. If you buy a laptop out of a mega store, you likely want it for some general usage or something. This is where "Intel Processor" makes sense.

Anyone that knows what they're looking for already knows what they're doing and this shouldn't change anything.
          This is true. The average person in general doesn't even have the vocabulary to ask the right questions to begin to understand what they're buying. The real bad thing is they buy a $400 USD laptop then wonder why it performs worse than their $400 smart phone - and don't realize they're comparing apples to oranges.

Comment

At Intel HQ, probably:

Person 1: We have a lot of leftover crap CPUs filling warehouses.
            Person 2: Average consumers must've finally figured out that Pentium and Celeron are no good..

Marketing: Say no more.

Comment

if you care about performance you do not want an intel processor. brought to you by intel marketing department.

Comment

Originally posted by colejohnson66 View Post

Prior to AMD kicking their butts with Ryzen, there was at least a semblance of rhyme and reason to the names. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Pentium was 2 core+no HT, i3 was 2+HT, i5 was a 4+no HT, and i7 was 4+HT.

What's extremely annoying about OEMs is how they advertise them. Having to explain to family that "2.3 GHz Intel i5 Inside!" doesn't mean much. i5 is a tier, not a generation. An i7 laptop could be garbage compared to the i5 next to it, just based on the non-advertised generation. "But the i7 is 3 g-h-z, and the i5 is 2.3 g-h-z, and bigger is better, right?"

You're absolutely right about the Xeon line. Why is the generation the second digit? Good thing they aren't advertised to consumers.
                Only if you ignore their mobile CPUs. Even up to Kaby Lake you could still find "i7s" with 2 cores.

Comment

In unrelated news, Toyota is renaming the Land Cruiser Prado to Toyota big car.

Comment

What a creative name.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Except everyone generally does call an F150 regardless of the letters after the model a "Ford truck".

For that matter, where I live all soft drinks are "Coke" regardless if it's Coca Cola or Pepsi.

To add: If you've had much contacts with non-geeks and other electronics enthusiasts, most normal people just say "Intel processor" anyway when you ask what kind of processor they have. They don't know the difference between Pentium, I5, I9, Celeron, etc, to begin with.

Edit edit: They often say the same thing even if they've got an AMD processor
                      I know. Most normal people can't even remember the i5 or whatever that is written on the sticker on the front of their PC.

Did you just out yourself as an American who lives in the South? Been my experience that calling everything "Coke" is a Southern thing. Guess who lives in the South to know that's true?

I'm full of useless knowledge like that.

Comment

Working...
                      X