X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

Don't dizz the mpg321ur-qd. It much better value than the STD1274-W4K
    I knew that some STD1274-W4K hater would have appeared in this discussion
    Last edited by cynic; 16 September 2022, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Waethorn View Post
      OEM's have been doing this for a while now. They don't have stickers that say "Intel Celeron" or "Intel Pentium" on complete systems. Instead they've been using lighter-blue "Intel Inside" stickers. Only the Core iX series have dedicated stickers. Chinese companies, like those on Amazon, often do this too since they try to sell budget systems on the Intel brand alone and don't want people to know that they're actually getting a piece of garbage.

Quite frankly, I don't get why they need a "Core iX" branding. Core i3, i5, i7, and i9 don't mean anything, since it isn't a static spec from one model or generation to the next. It doesn't tell you how many cores it has, how much cache it has, etc. What matters is the generation and model. They could just call it "Intel 12-700K CPU" and it would tell you everything you need to know to reference the specs. A "12-550" tells you that it has lower specs, but a 13-550 is a higher number that's relative to the 12-550, so it's a better processor than the 12-550 but doesn't directly relate to the 12-700K - let the spec junkies and benchmarkers do that. If someone says they have an "Intel 12 CPU", that at least tells you the generation and age, so you have a limited but relative range of performance options within that family. "Pentium" and "Celeron" don't tell you anything, since there are mainstream Core iX-derived Celerons that are faster than the budget "Atom-based architecture" Pentiums and some of the newer budget models are faster than older mainstream models. With newer software making older processors obsolete because of security issues *cough, Windows 11*, it's getting more and more important to know the age of a processor for serviceability reasons. Intel started using the "nth-generation" stuff in their marketing, but they need to shorten it. Yes, they already do this in the model numbers, but they need to rely on them more. Codenames should be kept classified internally too. Simplification is key, but they also need to communicate this to system OEM's. Dropping a product name and using just the model boasts their image too. Plus it saves on marketing.

And then they have to work on the branding around the differences between consumer and Xeon processors... the existing Xeon models don't tell you anything about age or generation and certainly don't relate to the consumer CPU's. Maybe just slap an S or W (server or workstation) on a consumer model and be done with it. At least you know that it's just a 12-700, etc., in a different package since many of the uniprocessor server and workstation models are identical silicon just with added validation.
      Prior to AMD kicking their butts with Ryzen, there was at least a semblance of rhyme and reason to the names. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Pentium was 2 core+no HT, i3 was 2+HT, i5 was a 4+no HT, and i7 was 4+HT.

What's extremely annoying about OEMs is how they advertise them. Having to explain to family that "2.3 GHz Intel i5 Inside!" doesn't mean much. i5 is a tier, not a generation. An i7 laptop could be garbage compared to the i5 next to it, just based on the non-advertised generation. "But the i7 is 3 g-h-z, and the i5 is 2.3 g-h-z, and bigger is better, right?"

You're absolutely right about the Xeon line. Why is the generation the second digit? Good thing they aren't advertised to consumers.
      Last edited by colejohnson66; 16 September 2022, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Celeron is pretty okay getting rid of, but the Pentium brand would be useful for this.

Comment

Originally posted by colejohnson66 View Post

Prior to AMD kicking their butts with Ryzen, there was at least a semblance of rhyme and reason to the names. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Pentium was 2 core+no HT, i3 was 2+HT, i5 was a 4+no HT, and i7 was 4+HT.
          Hasn't been like that for a while. Core i3 processors are available in all different configurations now. Also, mobile CPU's are different from desktop. For a long time, the only Core i3's you could get with HT were mobile. They got HT for 6th and 7th gen 2-core desktop CPU's, but went full 4-core for 8th while i5's went 6-core. At 10th gen, both desktop CPU series kept the same number of cores, but added HT - the first time any desktop i5 had HT. i7's had HT since 6th gen except their 9th-gen 8-cores.

What's extremely annoying about OEMs is how they advertise them. Having to explain to family that "2.3 GHz Intel i5 Inside!" doesn't mean much. i5 is a tier, not a generation. An i7 laptop could be garbage compared to the i5 next to it, just based on the non-advertised generation. "But the i7 is 3 g-h-z, and the i5 is 2.3 g-h-z, and bigger is better, right?"
          True. Also, I don't look at clock speeds anymore since there are enough indicators of relative performance. Intel talked about this years ago and I think they're right that it really doesn't matter anymore except on a spec sheet. I think they got the U and H/P models for mobile straight. Let's hope they don't change that.

You're absolutely right about the Xeon line. Why is the generation the second digit? Good thing they aren't advertised to consumers.
          I stopped following them when they went away from the 3000 series being 1P (just rebranded Core desktop processors) and the 5000 were 2P+ with 7000 series being the datacenter versions (and there were still Itaniums being made back then).

Comment

Well well.. This is what truly stands for the company and our finest art, so we just call it THE "Intel processor" as we are proud of it.

No seriously, just slap on a generation marker (architecture, not marketing generation), the number of cores and a TDP class.

Intel-GGCCPPP

GG = two number generation
            CC = Core Count
            PPP = TDP Class

So an

Intel-1408015

Would be 14th generation, 8 Cores and 15 Watt Design Power.

Or a
            Intel-1424275

Would be a waste of money in electricity bills and for gamers.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacefish View Post
              Well well.. This is what truly stands for the company and our finest art, so we just call it THE "Intel processor" as we are proud of it.

No seriously, just slap on a generation marker (architecture, not marketing generation), the number of cores and a TDP class.

Intel-GGCCPPP

GG = two number generation
              CC = Core Count
              PPP = TDP Class

So an

Intel-1408015

Would be 14th generation, 8 Cores and 15 Watt Design Power.

Or a
              Intel-1424275

Would be a waste of money in electricity bills and for gamers.
              That is too many numbers and hard to read. Make one of them a letter an place it in the middle. But again you will inevitable end up with numbers only experts will understand. The pencil pushers don't like that because
              a) Normal people doesn't understand it, and find it scary.
              b) It makes it too easy for smart people to make informed decision

Both of these leads to less profit, so they want to keep experts confused and laymen feeling like they just have to trust a brand, even though it means nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by jaxa View Post

See above. Intel's lowest could become 4 cores, 4 threads soon. We will see.
                Dreamer...
                Market likes shitty solutions. Such as 2 cores / 2 threads Celerons, or VGA input in a LCD display - without any digital inputs.

CPUs with 2 cores / 4 threads are OK in office use.

Comment

Originally posted by colejohnson66 View Post

I wouldn't have called anything about Intel's naming conventions reasonable even before Ryzen came along. They haven't been since Intel was pushing clock speed numbers at the expense of everything else (Pentium 4 era). You have to pay real close attention to the fine print and match your CPU choice to the budget and performance you wanted or needed for the job you intended it to do regardless of the consumer, enterprise/server, or low end/embedded lines (and hope you actually get your performance expectations).

Don't even get me started on Intel's penchant for artificially disabling functionality unless you pay their ransom fees to unlock the features being held hostage.

Comment

What’s New: Today, Ford introduces a new vehicle for the essential product space: Ford® Truck. The new offering will replace the Ford F-150® and Ford F-150 Lightning® branding in the 2023 truck product stack.

Why It Matters:​ With this new, streamlined brand architecture, Ford will continue to sharpen its focus on its flagship brands: Ford® Maverick™, Ford® Ranger™ and Ford SuperDuty®. In addition, this update streamlines brand offerings across truck segments to enable and enhance Ford customer communication on each product’s value proposition, while simplifying the purchasing experience for customers.

About Ford Truck: ​Ford Truck will serve as the brand name for multiple truck families, helping to simplify the product purchase experience for consumers. Ford will continue to deliver the same products and benefits within segments. The brand leaves unchanged Ford’s current product offerings and Ford’s product roadmap.

Who actually thought calling every crappy Intel processor "Intel Processor" was a good idea? It's just as dumb as calling every Ford F-150 a "Ford Truck".

The processor's model is Processor. That won't get confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                      What’s New: Today, Ford introduces a new vehicle for the essential product space: Ford® Truck. The new offering will replace the Ford F-150® and Ford F-150 Lightning® branding in the 2023 truck product stack.

Why It Matters:​ With this new, streamlined brand architecture, Ford will continue to sharpen its focus on its flagship brands: Ford® Maverick™, Ford® Ranger™ and Ford SuperDuty®. In addition, this update streamlines brand offerings across truck segments to enable and enhance Ford customer communication on each product’s value proposition, while simplifying the purchasing experience for customers.

About Ford Truck: ​Ford Truck will serve as the brand name for multiple truck families, helping to simplify the product purchase experience for consumers. Ford will continue to deliver the same products and benefits within segments. The brand leaves unchanged Ford’s current product offerings and Ford’s product roadmap.

Who actually thought calling every crappy Intel processor "Intel Processor" was a good idea? It's just as dumb as calling every Ford F-150 a "Ford Truck".

The processor's model is Processor. That won't get confusing.
                      Except everyone generally does call an F150 regardless of the letters after the model a "Ford truck".

For that matter, where I live all soft drinks are "Coke" regardless if it's Coca Cola or Pepsi.

To add: If you've had much contacts with non-geeks and other electronics enthusiasts, most normal people just say "Intel processor" anyway when you ask what kind of processor they have. They don't know the difference between Pentium, I5, I9, Celeron, etc, to begin with.

Edit edit: They often say the same thing even if they've got an AMD processor
                      Last edited by stormcrow; 16 September 2022, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X