Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
    well at the very least the cards look very sleek
    Heh, we had some old GPUs at work that had been replaced with newer models, a while back. So, they were lying on a shelf and I admired the seemingly overbuilt heatsink & cooling solution on one. It seemed such a shame that so much hardware was just going to be trashed.

Sure, the GPU and GDDR memory has been superseded, but I believe the heatsink & fans still had plenty of life in them, as well as potentially thing like the VRM.
    Last edited by coder; 09 September 2022, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
      Good to know. I last wrote mine in LATEX and sent them a PDF, but that was a while ago.
      I think culturally it's generally better to go somewhere that accepts PDFs, a rigid requirement for Word is probably a sign of a rigid corporate culture. (Though it could be a sign of an incompetent recruiter that snuck into a decent organization.)

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
        Nah. Microsoft's monopoly is perpetuated by the millions of cubicles you never see, but they're everywhere in those big glass buildings downtown.
        Windows first and foremost is a vehicle for Microsoft Office. Without Microsoft Office, the whole world would have moved to GNU/Linux decades ago.
        Gaming is important, I know full well that gaming is important, but that's not the boat anchor holding us back. The anchor is Office. That's the 8000lb gorilla in the room. Adobe's offerings are pretty important as well, but everything rests on Microsoft Office. I've never worked at a company that didn't have a widespread Microsoft Outlook email userbase. Microsoft offers very sweet deals to its corporate partners to ensure that they never give up on Outlook and Office for any competing email/office product.
        You can get gaming on a Playstation. You cannot get the full-scale Microsoft Office on a Switch.
        Everything rests on Microsoft Office‚Äč.
        right but it is not a this for that game... microsoft maintains their monopoly in all fields...
        it is microsoft office and also directX games and also adobe products...

for linux become the standard we need to beat all of these products.. thats a very hard job.
        Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

An industry insider told me Microsoft actually got very worried about Vulkan. It was gaining traction faster than DX12, initially. That's supposedly why they partnered with Nvidia to introduce ray tracing (via Microsoft DXR). And it seemed to work.
          if i tell people intel+nvidia+microsoft is the axis of evil... the people dont believe it and claim microsoft and nvidia and intel they have nothing to do with any kind of evil cartell...

but you see this companies microsoft and nvidia and intel they always make sure they stay on top.

Comment

Yeah, like I think there's a whole generation of folks who've used a lot more Google Docs than MS Office. They start companies and those companies go with Google or other options, not MS. Slowly, but surely, MS ages out of the workplace.
            MS has been trying to counter with MS Office 365, but I think their pricing is probably too high to beat Google Docs at its own game.
            this sounds like good news for me :-) go go go google...

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
              I know this is off the topic of Intel GPUs, but with respect to Windows dominance, I think it's both Office and PC gaming, plus the education system.
              My previous employer was the RELX group, which has 30k employees. The whole organization uses MS Office. My current job does not, but it's a tiny company - and we still have people that use it to interact with outside companies.
              And when I was job hunting, dozens of potential employers asked for my resume in Word format. I wrote it in Libre office and exported it to Microsoft Word. Then I opened it in Word on my work laptop, and the formatting was completely broken. This was less than a year ago. The next time I job hunt, I'll get Office365 for a month and write my resume in Word in the browser.
              Microsoft also makes Windows and Office available at big discounts to schools, as another way to lock people in. Google finally managed to start eating into that market with Chromebooks and Google Classroom.
              PC gaming is the last piece. Nobody wants to miss a favorite game because of operating system. Windows gamers miss some console exclusives, but as far as I know every game on MacOS and Linux is also on Windows.
              write your resume in libre office and export it to PDF most people even on microsoft office accept this.

this is the only save way to void incompatibilities with microsoft office.

Comment

Good to know. I last wrote mine in LATEX and sent them a PDF, but that was a while ago.
                thats a good one... similar to my style write it in libre office and export it to a PDF and sent it.

this is a good way to avoid the microsoft office incompatibilities.

Comment

I think culturally it's generally better to go somewhere that accepts PDFs, a rigid requirement for Word is probably a sign of a rigid corporate culture.
                  Yeah, if we're talking about a small company.

(Though it could be a sign of an incompetent recruiter that snuck into a decent organization.)
                  At a big company, it's often the case that your experience depends largely on your manager, team, and business unit. The recruiters are so far removed, in company structures and from your day-to-day experience, that they're almost irrelevant.
                  Last edited by coder; 10 September 2022, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

right but it is not a this for that game... microsoft maintains their monopoly in all fields...
                    it is microsoft office and also directX games and also adobe products...

for linux become the standard we need to beat all of these products.. thats a very hard job.
                    Yeah. I think it's likely to remain dominant for decades.

But if their monopoly does get broken, WebAssembly might be the tool.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                      For some freaking reason DirectX 12 Ultimate is more important than Vulkan.

Wow.
                      You do understand, do you not, that Windows has over 75% market share? And Windows is about DX12? When you first market a product you target the largest customer base, and only those in denial (or believing in a failed business model) think that their ~2.5% market share matters.

Comment

Working...
                      X