Linux 6.1 Thunderbolt Networking To Support USB4 End-To-End Flow Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.1 Thunderbolt Networking To Support USB4 End-To-End Flow Control

Phoronix: Linux 6.1 Thunderbolt Networking To Support USB4 End-To-End Flow Control

One of the interesting capabilities with Thunderbolt and now USB4 that is seemingly not too widely used is for networking between systems. The Linux kernel for the past half-decade already has offered a Thunderbolt networking driver for networking between hosts with Thunderbolt cables. The latest improvement on this front is now supporting USB4's end-to-end flow control mode...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This takes me back. I remember experimenting with networking over firewire back in the day. Back then it was 400 or 800 mbit/s. I only had 100 mbit/s ethernet. So while much more cumbersome to use, it was a plus when doing large file transfers, at least in theory. Of course in practice we also had spinning hard drives back then...

Comment

Fantastic... and it's Intel again... I wonder if AMD will ever grasp the big picture when it comes to Open Source, what it is, how it works & what's important for it, hmm.. probably ? not as @AMD they still chase children inhabiting basements which children wank off to 3fps higher pointing stats grahps - so called gamers.
      ogh.. you wish AMD could "invent" something software-wise which was really practical & useful.
      lots love, x.

Comment

I happen to have a TB4 port on my laptop.
        But after looking at the prices of TB4 compatibel docks..I'll just use a regular usb-c dock with HDMI 2.0 instead.

Comment

Oh dear, QoS and buffering under the network stack...
          This gives me bufferbloat vibes. OTOH PCIe also has some kind of QoS, and it seems to work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
            I happen to have a TB4 port on my laptop.
            But after looking at the prices of TB4 compatibel docks..I'll just use a regular usb-c dock with HDMI 2.0 instead.
            If you don't need more bandwidth that's good enough.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by lejeczek View Post
              Fantastic... and it's Intel again... I wonder if AMD will ever grasp the big picture when it comes to Open Source, what it is, how it works & what's important for it, hmm.. probably ? not as @AMD they still chase children inhabiting basements which children wank off to 3fps higher pointing stats grahps - so called gamers.
              ogh.. you wish AMD could "invent" something software-wise which was really practical & useful.
              lots love, x.
              Yeah man, it's not like AMD was the first to add 64Bit support and multicore to x86. All Intel! Your fanboism is showing and it's a terrible look.

Comment

Originally posted by lejeczek View Post
                lots love, x.
                Hardware companies doing "software innovation" usually yields new half-baked standards, which take years to get proper maturity and portability to be useful, like in this case. I would rather see them implementing already existing ones correctly, efficiently and securely.

Comment

Michael

Typo "part f the spec" should be "part of the spec"

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

Yeah man, it's not like AMD was the first to add 64Bit support and multicore to x86. All Intel! Your fanboism is showing and it's a terrible look.
                    My friend you did not even read what I wrote - there was: "practical & useful" among the lines.
                    You triggered so easily - that I wonder if your attention span is such that prohibits you from dealing anything serious, in terms of literature but not exclusively.
                    As for me and my "fainboism" - of which you know zero - I can tell you that AMD survived thanks to me & others like me - when I shopped with AMD for laptops & servers, big time, not to mention components, for last two decades during which time only a few !! did, so... spare me.

Comment

Working...
                    X