Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Arc Graphics A380: Compelling For Open-Source Enthusiasts & Developers At ~$139

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    What Michael hasn't tested however are RX 580 and GTX 1060 both released over three years ago and both of which are much faster than this Intel GPU.

It's embarrassing really considering its price.
    The price to pay isn't for performance. It is for not having to deal with terrible companies (in the case of NVIDIA).

Similarly, things like VPN / VPS tunneling doesn't improve performance but lets people grab torrents so not to have to deal with scummy companies like Valve and their Steam DRM platform.

Sometimes a compromise is well worth it!
    Last edited by kpedersen; 28 August 2022, 01:15 PM.

Comment

hi Michael first of all thanks for testing, but i have one question, do you have the phoronix test suite command to compare to it, i have a feeling this isnt much/at all faster than TGL in its current form and wanted to do some comparison on my laptop but didnt see the command/test name anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
        Yeah, I was blown away the most by the fact that you need an internet connection just to install the driver.
        I was mostly astonished by the completely broken UI and the fact that the SW couldn't even uninstall itself correctly. In how much of a rush they were to spew that out?

Originally posted by user1 View Post
        When I used Windows, the first thing I did before Windows installation is to disconnect my ethernet cable,
        I used to do that in WinXP era because the default installation was so insecure that just opening IE6 was asking for trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
          Agreed, the last thing consumers want is a duopoly dictating prices and milking the market as we have seen during the last two years.
          What's happened with PC GPU prices over the last two years isn't primarily the duopoly of producers. It was crypto, pandemic, & deep learning fueling demand, up against a historical crunch in silicon production capacity. Rampant scalping only further contributed to scarcity and astronomical pricing. Sure, AMD and Nvidia did well, but a lot of the excessive profits were being made downstream of them.

Intel being in the game would've made virtually no difference, because they'd all be sourcing from the same fabs.

I don't get all the whining from the companies about higher costs either, it's their job to drive costs down with their partners.
          They have limited leverage over their suppliers and prices have gone up throughout the economy.

The customers are not willing to pay up that bill indefinitely.
          And that's what sets price ceilings.

there were rumors going around that Intel might cancel Arc alltogether
          At this point, I think it's naked speculation.

After all they just killed Optane just before CXL might have helped to get that off the ground.
          It's not obvious CXL could've saved it. In terms of GB/$, it's simply too expensive. There's too much we don't know about it, but it seems they haven't been successful at scaling up Optane density anywhere remotely as fast as NAND.

The first generation always has teething issues,
          Yes, and Intel knows this. Most things they've canceled had multiple generations before they pulled the plug, including Optane.

That's why I think the "rumors" of cancellation is nothing more than a bunch of bored gamers echoing each others' scornful sentiments that their unrealistic hopes and aspirations for ARC/DG2 weren't met.
          Last edited by coder; 28 August 2022, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCatX View Post
            I was mostly astonished by the completely broken UI and the fact that the SW couldn't even uninstall itself correctly. In how much of a rush they were to spew that out?
            And that's also the reason why I think requiring an internet connection for driver installation is ridiculous. Imagine connecting to the internet after Windows installation and it immediately automatically installs a version that has these issues with uninstalling.. And as I said, since Windows pretty much always tends to isntall an outdated version of graphics drivers, it will probably install these versions that have issues with uninstalling themselves for another year and a half (maybe unless Intel will fix that issue ASAP).

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

The price to pay isn't for performance. It is for not having to deal with terrible companies (in the case of NVIDIA).

Similarly, things like VPN / VPS tunneling doesn't improve performance but lets people grab torrents so not to have to deal with scummy companies like Valve and their Steam DRM platform.

Sometimes a compromise is well worth it!
              Valve (along with Wine) have done more for Linux gaming than everyone else combined. But it's cool that you'd rather pirate games than help fund the only company who seems to give a shit about gaming on your platform ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Comment

Originally posted by ET3D View Post
                What OpenCL 3.0 features does the A380 support? Because basic OpenCL 3.0 is just OpenCL 1.2. Most features are optional. It's hard to get excited without knowing if the card can actually do anything beyond OpenCL 1.2 functionality.
                Long before OpenCL 3.0, Intel was the leading implementer of OpenCL features. They were first to support OpenCL 2.0 and I think they even had a fully-conformant OpenCL 2.2 implementation.

Thinking their OpenCL 3.0 is essentially just 1.2 -- you're probably confusing them with Nvidia.

Comment

It is embarrassing. On paper it should be at the very least 1.5 times faster than GTX 1060.
                  If you knew anything about GPUs, you'd know the specs aren't everything. Back in the latter days of GCN, AMD was competitive only with Nvidia GPUs having approximately half the raw specs as them.

What changed is that AMD finally got smart. They cut their wavefront in half, increased their scalar execution rate, and then added Infinity cache. And probably numerous other changes in RDNA. But, it just goes to show that you have to do a lot of optimization (both hardware and software, I'm sure) to truly compete in the GPU race.

Comment

People keep touting hardware AV1 encoding support however not a single video content/streaming website supports its natively.
                    A lot of people keep their hardware for many years. So, it's natural to be forward-looking, when you buy something.

I guess, if you upgrade your GPU every year, you can afford not to care if what you recently bought quickly becomes obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                      But you need a big asterisk, because its list price was apparently $525. The street price I found in one review was $425.

Yeah, I meant the comparison as generally favorable for Intel performance wise. Half a decade is a long time, but I'm content with the performance for 1/3 the price that the P2000 came to market with.

Also, it lacks AV1, HDMI, and its DisplayPort was v1.4.
                      The P2000 supports what was available at the time, and the workstation cards of that era usually went all DP when they finally dropped DVI.

​Too bad it looks like the A370 is only a mobile product, because it otherwise seems to fit the bill.
                      BTW, it's possible someone will release a version of the A380 without a supplemental power connector. This sort of thing has happened with other GPUs, in the past.
                      I still anticipate picking up a 16GB Intel A770 when they come out to replace the P2000 in this machine. Their OpenGL and older DX driver support is a mess right now, but the Vulkan results are promising.

Comment

Working...
                      X