Intel Arc Graphics Running On Fully Open-Source Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yump View Post
    and you still came back and quibbled about it!
    "quibble - To argue or find fault over trivial matters or minor concerns".
    Correcting outright lies over the focal point of a conversation is not "finding fault over minor concerns".

Your defense that a phone that's barely a year old can, you think, probably handle 720p AV1, would be irrelevant even if it was true. It MAY be true, but you haven't provided any proof of that at all, and the page you linked literally says that a 4x A72 CAN'T do 4K, and that more cores doesn't really help. So I'm a bit puzzled as to why you linked it in the first place, unless you misunderstood it.

The new link, to 1080p, is more relevant. If the Pi can manage 63fps there - even if it's only dumping the output to dev/null rather than displaying it - then that's academically interesting, but it doesn't fit with what actually happens when trying to play back 720p. I would suggest that for video, not having a watchable output is a fairly significant problem; and I'm confident that the vast majority of people would be in agreement with that position.

Next time I have the Pi handy I'll see what the framerate of the 720p sample is when the output is simply discarded, but I don't think that really changes what the current state of things is on any meaningful or practical level.

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post
      Which, as we've already proven, it is not. Even for just 720p, you need 7+GHz of 4-core CPU.
      I don't know if you're using old data or what
      It was right there in the post. That's the result from a Pi4 (an overclocked one, at that), which is a lot more representative of a phone CPU (you know, those things that 90-something % of video is consumed on) than an HEDT desktop is. This really shouldn't be this hard to understand, and it's hard to imagine that anyone pretending to isn't doing so solely because they're determined to push a false narrative.

the post being

https://openbenchmarking.org/test/pt...986c b#metrics

which is metrics for 4k. so

Which is, erm, exactly what I didn't do.
      If you actually had a valid point, you wouldn't need to lie so blatantly to support it - hence the comment about wilful dishonesty for the sake of pushing a false narrative.
      the benchmark which reports Video Input: Summer Nature 4K
      ARMv8 Cortex-A72 4-Core : 14fps
      vs summer nature 1080p reporting
      ARMv8 Cortex-A72 4-Core : 63fps​

EASILY handling 1080p30, in this case handling even 1080p60 (probably not smoothly ofc)

Comment

Your defense that a phone that's barely a year old
        A *budget* phone that's barely a year old. T-mobile offers it free on contract with new line activations or trade-in of any phone that's physically undamaged and can boot. If you're using something older that still gets security updates, either 1st party or aftermarket FOSS, it was probably higher-end to begin with. The Google Pixel 3 was 4+4 with A75 cores.

Compared to most phones, the raspberry pi is an absolute potato. Even the 4. Especially in video playback, since the composited desktop GUI performance gets very little love compared to Android.

can, you think, probably handle 720p AV1, would be irrelevant even if it was true. It MAY be true, but you haven't provided any proof of that at all
        Well, I just downloaded the Chimera 10-bit 1080p test clip, converted to a normal container with ffmpeg -i *.obu -map 0 -c:v copy av1-10-1080p.mkv, copied it to that very phone, and played it in VLC 3.5.2. It handles it fine, even the really difficult bit with the fountains at 2:25. Peak CPU usage 88%, average 58%, eyeballed from top -d 0.2 and top -d 5. That is only a personal report, not proof I can provide, but you can do the same test.

(Looping the video for about half an hour used 6% battery, and the hottest thermal sensor was 47°C, measured by adb shell 'grep . /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone*/temp' | tr ':' ' ' | sort -hk 2,2)​

the page you linked literally says that a 4x A72 CAN'T do 4K, and that more cores doesn't really help. So I'm a bit puzzled as to why you linked it in the first place, unless you misunderstood it.
        You said it would take a 7+ GHz quad core to even do 720p. I linked to proof that that wasn't required even for 4K, 9x as many pixels. More cores definitely helps. For summer nature 4K, compare the Ryzen 3300X at 117 FPS to the 3700X at 175 FPS.
        Last edited by yump; 01 October 2022, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yump View Post
          Well, I just downloaded the Chimera 10-bit 1080p test clip, converted to a normal container with ffmpeg -i *.obu -map 0 -c:v copy av1-10-1080p.mkv, copied it to that very phone, and played it in VLC 3.5.2.
          mpv-android can play it directly, also mpv-android can be built with libplacebo (I have a slightly out dated build if you want it, won't tell you to trust me though, you can compile it youself since sfan updated the vulkan pull request and it no longer needs jank to compile). which means you can also get gpu-grainsynth, further increasing efficiency and fps. (you can also use shaders and what not, but it's pretty buggy, but performance is good unless you are doing HDR).

Comment

So is there a way to get OpenCL running on anything prior to using kernel 6.0?

I really don’t care if support is baked into the kernel or not. Adding additional driver packages is (or should be) trivial. I just want OpenCL compute to work. Don’t care about games or Vulkan or OpenGL, just OpenCL.

is it possible yet? What packages need to be installed if so? For example, on Ubuntu 22.04, you can install the Intel OpenCL compute package that supports the Xe integrated graphics on the CPU, and that’s supposed to be the same(ish) Xe architecture. Will this same package work to get OpenCL on Arc?

Comment

Originally posted by gsrcrxsi View Post
              So is there a way to get OpenCL running on anything prior to using kernel 6.0?
              I recommend asking on Intel's developer forums.

Comment

Working...
              X