Intel Arc Graphics Running On Fully Open-Source Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by qarium View Post
    i think AMD does not have the patent licenses ...
    For 4:4:4 H.264? Why do you say that?

also i believe if you believe in the success of AV1 you plain and simple no longer need any 264 or 265 or whatever.

so why not just use AV1 like any other SANE person ?
    People might be encoding files that need to be viewable on devices without AV1 playback capability. Just one reason.

Comment

i think AMD does not have the patent licenses ... and also i believe if you believe in the success of AV1 you plain and simple no longer need any 264 or 265 or whatever.

so why not just use AV1 like any other SANE person ?
      Well if you're recording 4:4:4, you're probably recording lossless or near lossless, and x264 really shines at that. It gets *better* lossless compression than x265, and aomenc's lossless mode is a joke atm.

On the other hand... why would you even need hardware acceleration for it?

Last edited by brucethemoose; 26 August 2022, 01:14 AM.

Comment

people believe itanium was a failure but for intel it was a huge success because before Itanium intel had one more company as competition and after itanium this other company did quit the CPU market.

itanium did completely sapotage this other company and in the end everyone was on intel x86 ... huge success for intel.

this other CPU company was this one: "The Itanium architecture originated at Hewlett-Packard (HP), and was later jointly developed by HP and Intel.​"

before itanium HP was in the cpu space competition to intel... after the huge success of subversive sapotage action of itanium HP did quit the cpu space.
        I can't say you're wrong, but PA RISC never really challenged Intel in the markets where x86 played. It was only perhaps on obstacle in some of the markets where Intel wanted to be, but it would be incorrect to say that HP was their only competition. At the time of Itanium's inception, DEC Alpha, Sun SPARC, IBM POWER, and MIPS were all credible threats, as well.

And by the time of Itanium's demise, HP ate Compaq, which ate DEC. I forget if it was HP or Compaq who was responsible for dismantling DEC and even selling off parts of it to Intel. Oracle ate Sun and bled it dry. SGI ate MIPS and imploded. That left IBM POWER as the only viable competitor, and of course IBM is its own worst enemy. Anyway, the point is that Itanium didn't kill any of these guys. Itanium only killed PA RISC by getting HP to stop investing in it (which isn't to say it wouldn't have eventually met some other demise, but that's what killed it).
        Last edited by coder; 26 August 2022, 06:44 AM. Reason: Typed Dell when I mean HP who bought Compaq. Thanks @chithanh

Comment

All I want for my main workstation is something to run the thing, since I don't have integrated graphics (iGPU) through the 5950x. I'm running a low-tier (was decent at some point I guess) AMD Radeon card which works really well with 0 issues. I tried nVidia and the amount of issues I have is an absolute clusterfight.

It's a shame their software/hardware seems extremely buggy on Windows (read their blogpost, and the Gamers Nexus review about them... not pretty). i really want another competitor in the space, and would be happy to buy a card if it worked fine for every day use on desktop (coding, web browsing, not gaming).

Comment

" Fully Open-Source Linux Driver" and "the usual firmware caveat" is a nonsense.
            Radeon (r100, r200, r300g, r600g, radeonsi) and AMDGPU (Radeonsi) are not fully opensource sice they need a proprietary blob firmware.
            The same for intel.

Comment

cant wait to see how well or how well it doesnt work inside of a VM, something ive been interested in for a while

Comment

Thanks so much for covering this Michael! WOW! I appreciate it. With it needing a bleeding edge kernel and mesa I don't imagine it will work out of the box on FreeBSD or OpenBSD but maybe in 2023?

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post

GPU will Meet maker by
                  a) itanium style
                  b) xeon phi style
                  c) optane style ?
                  I bought a Data Center Optane SSD yesterday for the 7us response rate. Get them while you can!

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
                    I bought a Data Center Optane SSD yesterday for the 7us response rate. Get them while you can!
                    Ugh. P5800X is still waymore than I want to spend on a single component.

Comment

Originally posted by Dawn View Post
                      Itanium style? Are you implying Xe will have over a decade of new generations, be generally competitive until late in its life, and generate well into the tens of billions of dollars in revenue? Sounds positive.
                      people believe itanium was a failure but for intel it was a huge success
                      Itanium launched with all the big server OEMs (SGI, Bull, Fujitsu, IBM, Dell, etc.) but that soon wound down to only one, HP. It was never really competitive, the customers had Itanium pushed on them by HP. And when a single enterprise ISV (Oracle) announced to drop support it was game over.

Intel did make a profit from Itanium, but only because HP paid for all its development. This was revealed from HP-Oracle lawsuit.
                      ​Other than that, it nearly turned into Rambus style situation as Intel refused to extend x86 to 64-bit until AMD came and forced them to adopt amd64 (under changing names, Yamhill -> IA32e -> EM64T -> Intel 64).

before itanium HP was in the cpu space competition to intel... after the huge success of subversive sapotage action of itanium HP did quit the cpu space.
                      It was HP who drove and paid for everything. This is also why Intel didn't care while going from broad server OEM support to just HP.
                      ​​​
                      Originally posted by coder View Post
                      And by the time of Itanium's demise, Dell ate Compaq, which ate DEC. I forget if it was Dell or Compaq who was responsible for dismantlning DEC and even selling off parts of it to Intel. Oracle ate Sun and bled it dry. SGI ate MIPS and imploded. That left IBM POWER as the only viable competitor, and of course IBM is its own worst enemy.
                      I don't think you got that right.
                      DEC was bought by Compaq, which was then bought by HP. It was HP which killed Alpha and PA-RISC in favor of Itanium. The team who previously worked on Alpha went on to work for Intel. SGI pivoted from MIPS to Itanium. Dell had no business with any of the other CPU architectures.

Comment

Working...
                      X