Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greg KH Recommends Avoiding Alder Lake Laptops - Intel Webcam Linux Driver Long Ways Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greg KH Recommends Avoiding Alder Lake Laptops - Intel Webcam Linux Driver Long Ways Out

Phoronix: Greg KH Recommends Avoiding Alder Lake Laptops - Intel Webcam Linux Driver Long Ways Out

Greg Kroah-Hartman as the kernel's stable maintainer and effectively Linus Torvalds' second-in-command has suggested avoiding Intel Alder Lake laptops since these newer laptops with Intel's latest web-camera tech are not currently supported by the mainline kernel and require proprietary software for use. Some platforms like Ubuntu and ChromeOS are picking up these blobs for now while a proper open-source, upstream solution is likely months -- or likely about one year -- away...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Intel loses some market share and numbers take a hit and they get much slower at upstreaming stuff to Linux it seems. I've noticed a lot of their stuff is like just now getting upstreamed. Arc Alchemists for one, Raptor Lake stuff just getting done when it launches presumably in September. Given that it takes 6 months+ for changes to filter back into the latest LTS Linux and even longer than that to filter to the assorted *BSDs that is troubling.

Comment

Sigh

Using a UVC camera like every other manufacturer was too easy right?
      Last edited by kbios; 15 August 2022, 07:13 AM.

Comment

I must have misunderstood the article. Avoiding a laptop, just for the crap webcam support? Seems a little too trivial and I am sure for many people is the least important part of a laptop.

Plus, just plug in a USB UVC compatible one and carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
          I must have misunderstood the article. Avoiding a laptop, just for the crap webcam support? Seems a little too trivial and I am sure for many people is the least important part of a laptop.

In true Apple owners style, buy your way out of the situation due to the shortcomings of the hardware.

Comment

Well, what next? eGPU in an external case? Monitor? Soundsystem? ...mh this is going to end up in a desktop system.

Bottom line - yes you are right. But it somewhat questions the purpose of owning (building) a mobile pc in the first place.

Seems a little too trivial and I am sure for many people is the least important part of a laptop
            Thought the same ...and then COVID came
            Last edited by CochainComplex; 15 August 2022, 02:01 PM.

Comment

It's like the webcam equivalent of buying an NVIDIA GPU. Currently it needs an out of tree driver and some closed source bits to make it work (and distributions without uptight non-free policies are doing enough to get that stuff included).

For some people I'm sure the non-working webcam is a feature, not a bug.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

In true Apple owners style, buy your way out of the situation due to the shortcomings of the hardware.
                At least this is how you got all the unused ports filled up in your USB hub.

Comment

Is this crap Intel-only? Or will it become a "standard" and OEMs will start building them into AMD laptops as well?
                  Because so far the solution seems pretty simple: buy AMD laptops.

Comment

I understand when annoyances like this happen with some additional power management features, brand new chipsets and stuff that needs a driver extension here and there. But this is a crappy webcam that we've had in laptops for about decade and a half. What could these IPU6 cams can possibly be doing that it requires a new API a driver that needs to bake out-of-tree? And here I was thinking that companies realized that Linux HW support is not that hard ever in consumer products...

Comment

Working...
                    X