Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel's Clear Linux Taps -O3 For Its Kernel Builds

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Intel's Clear Linux Taps -O3 For Its Kernel Builds

    Phoronix: Intel's Clear Linux Taps -O3 For Its Kernel Builds

    While Intel's performance-optimized Clear Linux rolling-release distribution is known for its aggressive performance optimizations, their kernel build had been going with the default "-O2" optimization but last week did switch over to rolling their kernel with -O3...

    https://www.phoronix.com/news/Clear-Linux-O3-Kernel

  • #2
    What would be the implications of turning this off completely?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: Intel's Clear Linux Taps -O3 For Its Kernel Builds

      While Intel's performance-optimized Clear Linux rolling-release distribution is known for its aggressive performance optimizations, their kernel build had been going with the default "-O2" optimization but last week did switch over to rolling their kernel with -O3...

      https://www.phoronix.com/news/Clear-Linux-O3-Kernel
      Grumble grumble "O3 is an untested compiler flag that causes numerous problems because I had that issue back in 1994" grumble grumble

      Comment


      • #4
        I've been running Clear Linux as a bare metal OS on an older Mac Mini for a while now, and it absolutely screams in performance.

        Seeing Clear Linux consistently smoke every other Linux distro in every Phoronix benchmark that gets published, including Arch, I can't for the love of me understand why no other distro has picked up many of these optimizations from Clear Linux yet. Clear Linux is open source, and contrary to a persistent long-running misconception, it does not use Intel's proprietary compiler, but open-source compilers (GCC, LLVM) to build everything.

        Comment


        • #5
          Many of the things Clear does, has gotten upstreamed, and then used by many other distros. The gap isn't quite as big as it used to be.
          Clear does keep on pushing the envelope, which is great.
          Also, not all the speed innovations come from Clear. The great big push to LTO-ising came from Gentoo.

          Comment


          • #6
            birdie should teach those ignorant Intel engineers that `-O3` makes no difference with OS kernel.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Setif View Post
              birdie should teach those ignorant Intel engineers that `-O3` makes no difference with OS kernel.
              lmfao took the words out of my mouth.

              Don't forget oiaohm too. can you please educate these Intel engineer baboons about the huge risks of -O3 and compilers breaking stuff like memory ordering? You know their CPUs far better than them!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by grigi View Post
                Many of the things Clear does, has gotten upstreamed, and then used by many other distros. The gap isn't quite as big as it used to be.
                Clear does keep on pushing the envelope, which is great.
                Also, not all the speed innovations come from Clear. The great big push to LTO-ising came from Gentoo.
                Why not collaborate between major distros to merge these efforts upstream as soon as possible instead this weird uncoordinated competition?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by timofonic View Post

                  Why not collaborate between major distros to merge these efforts upstream as soon as possible instead this weird uncoordinated competition?
                  Hmm, good point.
                  But innovation is at its core chaotic.
                  So Whomever wants to coordinate chaos needs to have as tough skin as a primary school teacher.
                  Herding cats is easy in comparison

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by SteamPunker View Post
                    I can't for the love of me understand why no other distro has picked up many of these optimizations from Clear Linux yet.
                    I don't disagree. If I recall some of the benchmarks show fair improvement on AMD's x86* too.

                    I think much of it is (quite rightly so originally) distrust of Intel's crookedness on their icc compiler years ago. However what some perhaps don't realize is that this compiler is no longer relied upon. But the stigma of playing dirty tends to stick! Did it also move to Clang some years back too?
                    Last edited by kpedersen; 12 August 2022, 09:56 AM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X