X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
    I would suspect that Intel would look for a different way to use the chips to get some money back, but not as a gaming card. Maybe dev boards or some thing. In any case Intel has to keep working on compute for the data centre side because your road kill with out it these days.
    Their "Arctic Sound" server cards use the same GPU chips as the consumer products. They could just end up going there.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    The saltiest troll, this side of the pond!
    Well, Pal666 hasn't been very active of late, so you can probably keep the seat warm.

Leave a comment:

• MadeUpName
    replied
    Originally posted by erniv2 View Post

Like i said it´s a software issue.

And since this is a Linux based forum, we all start our proton based steam clients and run the old games on DXVK, oh praise Intel for investing time into optimising Vulkan performance
    Sry i just couldnt resist.
    Igors Lab did some testing and seems to think it is a problem with a hardware scheduler. It may also effect Battle Mage.

As for all the chips Intel fabbed that are sitting around. It isn't guaranteed they get released in a consumer card. If the number crunchers decide to kill the consumer side of ARC the Alchemist parts probably won't be widely released because Intel would have to eat the price of supporting them. I would suspect that Intel would look for a different way to use the chips to get some money back, but not as a gaming card. Maybe dev boards or some thing. In any case Intel has to keep working on compute for the data centre side because your road kill with out it these days.

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by mlau View Post

Someone's salty
    The saltiest troll, this side of the pond!

Leave a comment:

• WorBlux
    replied
    Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
    The currently available DX12 drivers are considered to achieve reasonable (if not as good as some hoped) results with the available GPUs, while the DX9/11 paths are consider to perform very poorly. That is (apparently) why the benchmark results that have been posted are all over the place, as if the game uses DX12 or Vulkan the results look much much better than if it uses DX9/11. The claim by some is that Intel did not fully appreciate the limitations in their existing drivers for DX9/11, and will now have to work to improve them, and that takes time (a lot of time).
    I wonder how much has to do with the latency and management differences between system RAM and video RAM. I imagine a lot of the tricks and strategies used for integrated cards don't transfer well.

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
    I wonder if these will support SR-IOV
    Good Question, could be a good feature for some, especially for the price.

Leave a comment:

• mdedetrich
    replied
    Originally posted by erniv2 View Post

Intel® Arc™ Pro A-Series Graphics for Workstations

If you scroll down you can see those fat DX12Ultimate OpenCL and Vulkan Logos, so if it is DX12.2 Compatible why not with dx9 or dx11?
    Because up to DX 11 / OpenGL API's are terrible API's especially to implement drivers for. The API's although deceptively simple, create a lot of "magic" behavior that needs to be implemented in the driver . Ontop of this different games abuse the API's in different ways which essentially means that if you want overall very good game performance you need to apply per game optimizations (this is what NVidia/AMD have been doing over decades, this is what NVidia's game ready drivers mean). As is obvious, since Intel is just starting it didn't have the privilege/time to do all of this work.

On the other handle, DX12/Vulkan are much more lower level/principled/correct API's that is not only much easier to develop drivers for but also allows game engines to squeeze much more performance out of the GPU. This is why ARC's DX12/Vulkan's performance is comparatively so much better. Its definitely possible for Intel to optimize up to DX11/OpenGL games to have much better performance retroactively with current GPU's but this will take a long time.
    Last edited by mdedetrich; 09 August 2022, 05:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mlau
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Same day as Rust developers actually develop something or Wayland reaches an actual market share.
    Someone's salty

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by tunnelblick View Post
    I wonder when Intel will start shipping GPUs instead of talking about and announcing their GPUs.
    Same day as Rust developers actually develop something or Wayland reaches an actual market share.
    Last edited by kpedersen; 09 August 2022, 05:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• tunnelblick
    replied
    I wonder when Intel will start shipping GPUs instead of talking about and announcing their GPUs.

Leave a comment:

• Anux
    replied
    Originally posted by coder View Post
    Depends on whether it has an auxiliary power connector. PCIe is limited to just 75 W per slot. So, if it gets all of its power from the motherboard, then you know it's truly just a 75 W card.
    Apart from my comment not beeing meant serious, I allready had that in mind. Atleast their rendered GPU images don't have one but I couldn't find real photos from the right angle.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X