No announcement yet.

Intel Announces Arc Pro A-Series Professional GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2017 Radeon RX570-level FP32 perf. These better be cheap.

The low TDPs mean there's probably a lot of upside potential though, and at least we have a promising open source compute story here.
    Last edited by vegabook; 08 August 2022, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

For real the AMD and Intel drivers might have bugs on BSD but... compared to nouveau LOL. Nouveau has never been a good driver... its just there so you can boot your system at least so it can tell you to install the proprietary driver.
      Maybe my language wasn't precise, nouveau is not in the OpenBSD kernel. When you fire up a system with an Nvidia card you get the vesa driver only. The Intel driver is the best supported so a pro series Intel card in a supported laptop with a Xeon and ECC ram would be like a wet dream for OpenBSD users!

Comment

This is where I demand proprietary Intel drivers...
        The open-source drivers are just not ready for Arc...

​​​​​​With AMD I get two choices: open-source and proprietary.
        Back when the Vega cards just came out, the open-source driver was unstable, but at least I could use the proprietary driver for some time.
        Then the open-source driver materialized after 10 months and I switched.

On the other hand, with Intel and NVIDIA you only have one option.
        Intel only gives you open-source (which isn't good enough for Arc/Xe yet) and NVIDIA only gives you proprietary (nouveau isn't there yet).

I guess I will have to go back to Windows for Arc...
        Last edited by tildearrow; 08 August 2022, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vegabook View Post
          2017 Radeon RX570-level FP32 perf. These better be cheap.

The low TDPs mean there's probably a lot of upside potential though, and at least we have a promising open source compute story here.
          I agree - but if they're cheap, given the delays it is almost certain that the finance and C-suite will kill Arc before the second gen cards even make it off the production line, even if they don't announce it publicly.

The low TDPs could also mean the chips leak like a sieve and see minimal performance gains for significantly increased power draw...

A rumour has the first AIB pulling out of releasing Arc cards so it's a bit worrying.

While there is still time for things to improve, the delays appear to indicate my earlier predictions regarding Arc - those being that it will overshoot release, underperform dramatically and be cancelled by the C-suite and bean counters before it hits third generation - may bear fruit. Pro cards might net more profit per card than consumer cards, but it's consumer cards which win mindshare.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            This is where I demand proprietary Intel drivers...
            The open-source drivers are just not ready for Arc...

​​​​​​With AMD I get two choices: open-source and proprietary.
            Back when the Vega cards just came out, the open-source driver was unstable, but at least I could use the proprietary driver for some time.
            Then the open-source driver materialized after 10 months and I switched.

On the other hand, with Intel and NVIDIA you only have one option.
            Intel only gives you open-source (which isn't good enough for Arc/Xe yet) and NVIDIA only gives you proprietary (nouveau isn't there yet).

I guess I will have to go back to Windows for Arc...

I mean - have you seen benchmarks of Arc reviews on Windows?

The proprietary drivers are… not good…

Comment

Here is hoping that Intel plays the long game with their Alchemist GPUs. Looks like their first generation lineup will only be able to compete on price, it that. They better be willing to spend a couple of generations to iterate on their technology before they can hope to catch up to Nvidia and AMD.

Comment

This must be one of Raja's tweeted 'four AXG professional ramps before the end of the year'. For their sake, I hope the other three are more impressive.

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
                Until recently Intel claimed it would be some new revolutionary architecture that would vault them into competition with AMD and Nvidia, but just yesterday I read that Intel is now warning it won't even work with many DX9 to DX11 games.

That was really surprising. Not even fully DX11 compatible? It's just crazy.
                It seems to me their driver should include DXVK and mandate its use for DX 9-11. Then they need to contribute to DXVK development, but everyone 'wins'. I haven't heard Intel themselves mention DXVK though.

Comment

Originally posted by rhadlee View Post
                  Here is hoping that Intel plays the long game with their Alchemist GPUs. Looks like their first generation lineup will only be able to compete on price, it that. They better be willing to spend a couple of generations to iterate on their technology before they can hope to catch up to Nvidia and AMD.
                  You mean like optane RIP ?
                  if the bean counters from finance are driving the boat then they wont see big bucks and end it.

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post
                    75W dual slot card? Why dual slot for that power?
                    These appear to be low-profile cards. You can do 75 Watts in a full-height card without it sounding like a hairdrier, but not if it's also low-profile.

You could get Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti's in low-profile, but they were always dual-slot. Nvidia released a Quadro P1000 that used the same GPU, was half-height, and also single-slot, but they had to reduce its TDP to like 47 Watts.

Originally posted by Anux View Post
                    Probably "intel watts" without boost clocks considered.
                    Depends on whether it has an auxiliary power connector. PCIe is limited to just 75 W per slot. So, if it gets all of its power from the motherboard, then you know it's truly just a 75 W card.

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post
                    Also what is the point of "Pro" GPU here for such low power target and low performance, unless target is maybe transcode performance?
                    "Pro" probably refers to the warranty and tighter design tolerances and standards. It's meant for "workstation" users. Workstation cards usually command a premium price, but are the only GPUs certified for use by key professional applications.

Nvidia also has a tendency to do things like cripple deep learning performance on non-workstation GPUs and equip their workstation cards with more RAM. Basically, whatever market segmentation tricks they can do which don't significantly impair gaming performance, but would make workstation users willing to pay a ~2x markup.

Traditionally, workstation cards also have different drivers. However, I think that has largely gone away, at least on Linux.
                    Last edited by coder; 09 August 2022, 02:41 AM.

Comment

I wonder if these will support SR-IOV

Comment

Working...
                      X